walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nan Tarmachan

Meall nan Tarmachan

Postby Alan S » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 27/12/2008

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 750m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

sat 27/12/08

climbed this on the 27th dec i chose this route as i was walking on my own and with the easy starting point just up from the lawyers visitor centre car park i decided this was the best choice.
the conditions were ok but after about 2500ft i could hardly see 10ft in front of me.
i had past a group of about 20 walkers and had managed to make quite a distance but due to the conditions with the snow and ice and poor visiblility i chose to stay just in front of the large group as i was on my own (but not to close as i like the peace and quiet)
on reaching the summit after about 1 hour 3/4 with a tricky climb up the last gulley the views proved rewarding when the cloud cleared which wasnt for long.
with a bite to eat and a good cup of tea i watched 3 groups touch the summit and return.i was hoping to complete the ridge but giving the conditions ill keep that for another day
all in it took me just under 4 hours with half an hour rest
probably one of my easiest yet even with the snow and ice but one i will certainly do again
lawyers range.JPG
loch tay.JPG
ben more,stob binnein.JPG
killin.JPG
looking towards killin 2.JPG
summit.JPG
wish i had thought of that.JPG
ben nevis.JPG
Last edited by Alan S on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Re: Meall nan Tarmachan

Postby cjwaugh » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:50 pm

Good pictures loved that walk when i done it worth doing the whole ridge and all the way to the end of the last top but it was summer and about 30 degres :lol:
cjwaugh

Munros:227   Corbetts:16
Grahams:4   Donalds:2

Postby maddjock » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:53 am

the paraglider - I've often thought how great that would be, after a long day on the hills, just to launch yourself off a ridge and descend gracefully, silently, slowly towards the ground with no further effort on the lower body...
hmmm, how heavy would the necessary equipment be? and where can I get lessons? :D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby Alan S » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:34 am

hi maddjock
i past about 6 of these guys and they were well kitted out my first thoughts were where the hell are they going everest :?:
there rucksacks were huge and they all had there helmets on.
i got to the car park and watched them all coming down it took about 5 mins looked brillant :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland