walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime & The Cobbler Overnighter

Beinn Ime & The Cobbler Overnighter

Postby Renegade Scot » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 17/06/2016

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another enjoyable hillwalking trip with an overnight wild camp in the amazing Arrochar Alps.

This was the first time I had visited the Cobbler and used the forest route up and round to my target for the day Ben Ime. The walk was really good with a fairly strong wind blowing through now and again and the weather threatening to bucket down at any minute. The wind was not only great for keeping cool but also keeping those pesky midges at bay. Can’t say the same for the walk back down in the morning as they were out in full force. Was nearly running at one point as they were just that bad.

Film below as well as some photographs. Film does not have much in the way of music as the wind seems to add more to the trip than any soundtrack.

Some shots of the Cobbler as I get near the top of the initial forest path.

Just about to start heading up Beinn Ime. Stopped for a rest with Beinn Narnain in front of me. Another enjoyable Munro that I had only done a few weeks earlier.

Looking back as I head up to the summit. Beinn Narnain and the Cobbler in front looking spectacular.

Got to the summit of Ben Ime at around 6.30pm and setup camp for the night. The weather started to clear now and again and didn’t get any rain which was a relief. The clouds looked amazing and moody giving the place a very surreal atmosphere. Was concerned though at times with the gusts blasting through my camping spot, but as the night progressed the gusts started to ease and eventually disappeared.

Looking over to Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich tucked behind it.

Admiring the views down towards the Sloy power station route. This was the route I actually took when doing Ben Narnain. Walked along through the glen and up to the right of the picture through the trees and diagonally up to the summit.

After a good night’s sleep I was up early at 4.30am to catch the sunrise breaking the mountain tops and was well worth dragging myself out of a cosy sleeping bag for. It was stunning with nearly perfect blue sky and faint wisps of white cloud dotted about in the distance.

Trips like this are what make’s Munro bagging and wild camping so addictive for me anyway. It will be a good couple of weeks before I can get out again and can’t wait.

Do feel that the Cobbler really stole the show that day and was very popular with lots of people going up or coming back. It is spectacular looking and actually caught my eye when I was driving down the A83 hill in to Arrochar, as you can see it dead ahead as you descend. It is still one I have to do and gives me another trip to look forward to with a possible overnight camp.

Time to head back home.

Renegade Scot
Munro compleatist

Re: Beinn Ime & The Cobbler Overnighter

Postby Renegade Scot » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:03 am

Last edited by Renegade Scot on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Renegade Scot
Munro compleatist

Re: Beinn Ime & The Cobbler Overnighter

Postby Renegade Scot » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:03 am

Renegade Scot
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland