walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carnwath Marilyns

Carnwath Marilyns

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:14 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Black Mount, Broomy Law, Mendick Hill

Date walked: 25/06/2016

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A solo quickie today. Allison away to Dundee for the weekend, I have family visiting to do, having spent last Sunday (Fathers' Day) in Assynt rather than with the old man. So what to do vaguely on the way through to my parents? I know I am meant to be concentrating on Simms but there weren't any that close by - I had worked out a 10 Simm route near Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) but that would take all day. So maybe some Marilyns. I'd noticed a triple set near Carnwath which looked enjoyable and short - Black Mount and Broomy Law from Elsrickle which could easily be made into a loop and the shapely Mendick Hill a couple of miles further along the road near Dolphinston which would be a quick up and back.

broomy2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Forecast was for showers and so it came to pass. Driving through to Carnwath took longer than it seemed to justify by miles alone as I listened into the political Post-Brexit debate on BBC Scotland. Arrived at Elsrickle and parked near the public footpath then ambled up to the 383m point. The grass was lush and very wet as I walked through fields of sheep. Unfortunately the fields are enclosed not only by barbed wire but electric fences, with few gates and no stiles - made for some precarious crossings especially as the electric wires were on both sides of the fence. I kept to the fence line and headed to the summit of Black Mount, where there's a vehicle track to keep the worst of the wet grass at bay. The trig point looks like it has been snacked upon by beavers. Or maybe just hungry sheep. The showers had ceased and the clouds cleared. I could see the small rise of Broomy Law, topped with various transmitter masts, across the road and made my way down the SE shoulder of Black Mount, aiming for a gap in the trees. in the lower field were cattle - i couldn't see any bull, but there were numerous cowpats, wet in the rain. As I approached, a black buzzy cloud arose from each of these - hundreds of black flies swarming up in unison.

ImageP1130227 by Al, on Flickr

Black Mount
ImageP1130229 by Al, on Flickr

Nibbled Trig
ImageP1130231 by Al, on Flickr

View back to Black Mount
ImageP1130232 by Al, on Flickr

Descent route
ImageP1130233 by Al, on Flickr

Passing a stand of Scots Pine I got to the road, managed to clamber across another electric fence and crossed the A702, past the Big red Barn and a short wayalong the A721, turning south up the fenceline after the first forestry plantation. From here I made my way over even lusher grass, onto heather on the slopes of Broomy Law and walked through more sheep to the summit. I couldn't find a cairn but did find several transmitter enclosures, fenced off with "Thieves Beware" signs. Nicely enigmatic I thought. I followed a track SW to Brownsbank Farm thence onto the A702 for a short distance to Candy Mill where I followed a lane past some new houses that led me back to the car. I snaffled a sandwich then set off along the road for my next target.

ImageP1130234 by Al, on Flickr

Broomy Law
ImageP1130235 by Al, on Flickr

...but of What?
ImageP1130236 by Al, on Flickr

Descent
ImageP1130237 by Al, on Flickr

Local Wildlife
ImageP1130239 by Al, on Flickr

Broomy Law
ImageP1130240 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130241 by Al, on Flickr

mendick_hi.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I normally dislike bagging routes up hills and Mendick Hill was a shapely item, worthy of setting off along the full length of the hill from the south west, passing the intriguingly named "Cock Up". However, I lacked time for that and parked across from Ingraston Farm, where there's verge parking. I walked up the farm track then onto the hillside, taking a fairly direct route onto the saddle of the hill and from thence to the bulbous summit. A trig point and a heavy wooden bench greeted my efforts. I sat in the sunshine to drink my coffee, looking back at Black Mount/Broomy Law. The bench was very welcome- comfortable, although it stank of sheep. Maybe more hills should have benches at the top, though I agree it would be inappropriate on the more wild and rugged summits :wink:

Mendick Hill from the parking spot
ImageP1130242 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130244 by Al, on Flickr

Trig, looking NE
ImageP1130245 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130247 by Al, on Flickr

Black Mount & Broomy Law in backdrop
ImageP1130248 by Al, on Flickr

I dropped down the SW shoulder of the hill and picked up a farm track running along the old Roman Road back to the farm gates. By this time it was very warm and my waterproofs had been discarded due to overheating. An enjoyable few hours out on smaller hills.

ImageP1130249 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Carnwath Marilyns

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:51 pm

weaselmaster wrote:A trig point and a heavy wooden bench greeted my efforts. I sat in the sunshine to drink my coffee, looking back at Black Mount/Broomy Law. The bench was very welcome- comfortable, although it stank of sheep. Maybe more hills should have benches at the top, though I agree it would be inappropriate on the more wild and rugged summits :wink:

Hahaha getting old Al! That kind of chat belongs on Latrigg next to Keswick, where there is a wee bench for you too! I see you more as the scary auld hermit living on a random Graham in the middle of Nowhereshire Glen, jumping out to scare random hill baggers on occasion! :lol:

Thinking of doing these hills very soon as they are fairly close by, looks like a decent walk with nice views of the Pentlands, from Mendick Hill in particular. Might copy your route from Candy Mill to do the double, cheers!
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Carnwath Marilyns

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Chris Mac wrote: I see you more as the scary auld hermit living on a random Graham in the middle of Nowhereshire Glen, jumping out to scare random hill baggers on occasion! :lol:

Now that's something I can definitely aspire to :lol: :lol: :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland