walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First munro: In.. at the deep end

First munro: In.. at the deep end

by pamfox » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich

Date walked: 24/06/2016

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1186m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: First munro: In.. at the deep end

Postby pamfox » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:48 pm

dav2930 wrote:Now that's the way to start your Munro-bagging career! Great title for the report btw - and great report! Well done everyone - looks like you all enjoyed it too :clap: :clap:

Everybody kept saying I'd gone in at the deep end with the munros :crazy: Fife Flyer suggested I use it as the title and I liked it. We had a good team and laughed, cried and helped each other through the two days. It's a great way to spend yer days off.
pamfox

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:133   

Postby pamfox » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:53 pm

kmai1961 wrote:Brilliant, Pam, just brill. And congratulations, you're on your way! :clap:

K.

Thanks K. Our two days on Skye were the best and hardest walks I've ever done :crazy: I was looking at my Bill Birkett ridge walk book as soon as I got home because I was still buzzing.
pamfox

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:13 pm

Wow Pam, what a way to start on the munros! :clap: Loved your pictures. They really show how complex the Cuillins are. Didn't see any of it when I did the In Pinn....
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:54 pm

Well that's certainly some way to start! Amazingly well done on bagging the Inn Pin and some other of the less accessible Skye Munros. An inspirational report and some excellent photos that show just what's required.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby pamfox » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Silverhill wrote:Wow Pam, what a way to start on the munros! :clap: Loved your pictures. They really show how complex the Cuillins are. Didn't see any of it when I did the In Pinn....

Thanks :) It was a hard day for me though. Most of the photos belong to Fife flyer who kindly let me use them. He did take some cracking ones. We were very luck with the weather as the forecast was a bit rubbish - thunder, lightening....
It's a real shame you didn't get the views from the In Pinn. You're right about them being complex. It's hard to see where the peaks stop and start again. Maybe you can do it again as it's such good fun :D
pamfox

Postby pamfox » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:06 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Well that's certainly some way to start! Amazingly well done on bagging the Inn Pin and some other of the less accessible Skye Munros. An inspirational report and some excellent photos that show just what's required.

Cheers Anthony :) I was daunted by it for weeks but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Paddy was worth every penny and looked after us all really well. The scrambling and climbing was fine but the long walks in and out wore me out a bit!
pamfox

Postby Jasmine_21 » Sun May 09, 2021 3:47 pm

Fantastic journey! And well done Pam! To be honest I didn't know about the inaccessible pinnacle. I must plan to visit Skye sometime. Do you know if it is possible to get there by public transportation? I come from south of England. And btw, I heard you have used scarpa terra gtx boots. How have you liked them? How do they perform for mountain hiking? Are you happy with them?
Jasmine_21
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Postby pamfox » Sun May 09, 2021 9:41 pm

Jasmine_21 wrote:Fantastic journey! And well done Pam! To be honest I didn't know about the inaccessible pinnacle. I must plan to visit Skye sometime. Do you know if it is possible to get there by public transportation? I come from south of England. And btw, I heard you have used scarpa terra gtx boots. How have you liked them? How do they perform for mountain hiking? Are you happy with them?

Thanks Jasmine. I was making up numbers with a team of people who were well on their way with munro bagging. I'm not, but so glad I did that trip.
We went to Skye by car so I'm not the best person to ask about public transport. You'd be better off putting your question on the General Discussion board.
However, with regard to the Scarpa terra gtx boots, they're the best boots I've had so far. They're comfortable, have a good grip, including when scrambling (I did the 4 Cuillins and many more good scrambles in them) and they're a good all year round boot. My feet do get really hot when walking in Summer though, so I've got a pair of textile boots too. The soles of my scarpa terras are well worn now. but they've been well worth the money. I've loved them. Hope this helps.
pamfox

Postby Jasmine_21 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:42 pm

pamfox wrote:
Jasmine_21 wrote:Fantastic journey! And well done Pam! To be honest I didn't know about the inaccessible pinnacle. I must plan to visit Skye sometime. Do you know if it is possible to get there by public transportation? I come from south of England. And btw, I heard you have used scarpa terra gtx boots. How have you liked them? How do they perform for mountain hiking? Are you happy with them?

Thanks Jasmine. I was making up numbers with a team of people who were well on their way with munro bagging. I'm not, but so glad I did that trip.
We went to Skye by car so I'm not the best person to ask about public transport. You'd be better off putting your question on the General Discussion board.
However, with regard to the Scarpa terra gtx boots, they're the best boots I've had so far. They're comfortable, have a good grip, including when scrambling (I did the 4 Cuillins and many more good scrambles in them) and they're a good all year round boot. My feet do get really hot when walking in Summer though, so I've got a pair of textile boots too. The soles of my scarpa terras are well worn now. but they've been well worth the money. I've loved them. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much Pam. This was indeed very helpful. I think that's the problem in almost all of goretex/waterproof boots that they get hot.
Jasmine_21
Mountain Walker

Postby pamfox » Mon May 10, 2021 11:06 am

pamfox wrote:

Jasmine_21 wrote:
pamfox wrote:

Thank you so much Pam. This was indeed very helpful. I think that's the problem in almost all of goretex/waterproof boots that they get hot.
Jasmine_21 wrote:
pamfox wrote:

Glad I could help Jasmine. And you're right about the boots. My feet are on fire in hot weather 😆
pamfox

Postby Jasmine_21 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:51 am

I plan to hike some mountains e.g. in the lake district and Scotland during this summer, I still can exchange these boots as I haven't used them yet. I thought being waterproof/goretex is essential because both places could easily be quite wet in summer as well? I think it is difficult to choose a versatile and suuportive pair of boot which would be water resistant and not getting super hot when walking. If you have any other ideas please let me know :wink:
Jasmine_21
Mountain Walker

Postby pamfox » Tue May 11, 2021 12:09 pm

Jasmine_21 wrote:I plan to hike some mountains e.g. in the lake district and Scotland during this summer, I still can exchange these boots as I haven't used them yet. I thought being waterproof/goretex is essential because both places could easily be quite wet in summer as well? I think it is difficult to choose a versatile and suuportive pair of boot which would be water resistant and not getting super hot when walking. If you have any other ideas please let me know :wink:

I've got the Scarpa Peak gtx fabric boots which I'd say are a little cooler, but my feet still get hot. Having two pairs is useful but I know they're expensive. I also bought a pair of approach shoes but don't find them that comfortable and stones get in. Plus you don't get the ankle support. I got them for flatter walking in Summer or on holiday, but don't like them much tbh
pamfox

Postby simon-b » Tue May 11, 2021 12:48 pm

Jasmine, the Terras are not winter mountain boots. So if they were too hot for summer, they'd be useless, which they are quite clearly not. Despite their ever changing range, Scarpa have been making the Terra for years which suggests a lot of satisfied customers.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Jasmine_21 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:22 pm

simon-b wrote:Jasmine, the Terras are not winter mountain boots. So if they were too hot for summer, they'd be useless, which they are quite clearly not. Despite their ever changing range, Scarpa have been making the Terra for years which suggests a lot of satisfied customers.

Thanks Simon.
Jasmine_21
Mountain Walker

Postby Jasmine_21 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:06 am

pamfox wrote:
Jasmine_21 wrote:I plan to hike some mountains e.g. in the lake district and Scotland during this summer, I still can exchange these boots as I haven't used them yet. I thought being waterproof/goretex is essential because both places could easily be quite wet in summer as well? I think it is difficult to choose a versatile and suuportive pair of boot which would be water resistant and not getting super hot when walking. If you have any other ideas please let me know :wink:

I've got the Scarpa Peak gtx fabric boots which I'd say are a little cooler, but my feet still get hot. Having two pairs is useful but I know they're expensive. I also bought a pair of approach shoes but don't find them that comfortable and stones get in. Plus you don't get the ankle support. I got them for flatter walking in Summer or on holiday, but don't like them much tbh

Thank you Pam, very helpful advice.
Jasmine_21
Mountain Walker

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland