walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullardoch Magic

Mullardoch Magic

by Silverhill » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Route description: The Loch Mullardoch Munros

Munros included on this walk: An Riabhachan, An Socach (Affric), An Socach (Mullardoch), Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Càrn Eige, Càrn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch), Màm Sodhail, Mullach na Dheiragain, Sgùrr na Lapaich, Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan, Toll Creagach, Tom a' Chòinich

Date walked: 27/05/2016

Time taken: 29 hours

Distance: 58 km

Ascent: 4900m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Mullardoch Magic

Postby martin.h » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi Silverhill, that's a great account of an epic trip, I really enjoyed reading about it, :D
Also pretty useful, we've a holiday booked in Cannich next June and thought about doing the Mullardoch munros in two or three trips using the ferry a couple of times as I'm not sure about the logistics of a wild camp :roll: , you've got me thinking now :D :)
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:10 pm

That looked like a great trip :)

Like others I am amazed that you managed a 3 day hike with just a 32l sack :shock: I thought old mountainstar was the king of the ultralight....well maybe you're the queen :wink:

I have still to do these hills so the photos and mention of water stops is most welcome...unsure how I'll tackle them though!

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Magic right enough - one of my favourite camping trips too. Well done on the #200 :clap: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks for the comments all :D and sorry about the delayed reply. I'm starting a new job and am relocating (up north!), so it is quite hectic at the moment trying to sort everything before the end of the month!

malky_c wrote:Enjoyed that :) . Despite being local(ish) there's still a few sections of ridge I haven't been over in there. Looks like you had decent weather for the most part too - which definitely helps!

Thanks malky_c! You are very lucky to have these hills nearby! 8)

mamoset wrote:That's a great TR & photo's Silverhill, well done :clap: 8)

Cheers mamoset! :D

The Rodmiester wrote:Stunning stuff there Silverhill, what an adventure with fabulous photographs. Big big days but no doubt be an unforgettable experience. Many congratulations on hitting the 200mark, love the photograph :lol: :lol:

Thanks Rodmiester! :D Trips like this one are what it is all about for me.
If Morrisons in Inverness hadn't sold out of round oatcakes (weirdly enough, the shelf was empty except for the posh triangular ones :shock: ), the number 200 would have been a bit easier to lay out :lol: .

Borderhugh wrote:Well done Silverhill on a great trip, report and for getting to 200. :clap:
Your report is timely. I am planning to do these over 2 days in the coming days.

Thanks Borderhugh, I hope you get (had) good weather for these and enjoy(ed) them as much as I did. :D

martin.h wrote:Hi Silverhill, that's a great account of an epic trip, I really enjoyed reading about it, :D
Also pretty useful, we've a holiday booked in Cannich next June and thought about doing the Mullardoch munros in two or three trips using the ferry a couple of times as I'm not sure about the logistics of a wild camp :roll: , you've got me thinking now :D :) Cheers.

Thanks martin.h! :D Whichever way you do them I'm sure you'll have a great time. The area is just wonderful, with or without wild camping.

dooterbang wrote:That looked like a great trip :)
Like others I am amazed that you managed a 3 day hike with just a 32l sack :shock: I thought old mountainstar was the king of the ultralight....well maybe you're the queen :wink:
I have still to do these hills so the photos and mention of water stops is most welcome...unsure how I'll tackle them though! Cheers.

Thanks dooterbang! :D
Well, the bag wasn't particularly light; I used every available nook and cranny of it (even the space between the outside of the bag and the ventilation mesh; and I had to use a bigger rain cover because the one that came with the bag didn't fit anymore. So that's how I managed :lol: .
Having read the reports of your recent epic trips, I'm sure you'll race around these in no time! :wink:

rockhopper wrote:Magic right enough - one of my favourite camping trips too. Well done on the #200 :clap: - cheers :)

Thanks rockhopper! I very much enjoyed reading your report of this trip as preparation! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby bigkeith » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:39 pm

Thanks, Silverhill. I really enjoyed reading that. I'm planning on doing this round and I found plenty of great info for route planning. I also find it very interesting to see how others manage their gear and route-plan so I appreciate you sharing that in a few of your photos (I'm a plastic-bag lover, too!) The only time I've been up Carn Eighe (I previously walked the south ridge Munros on three separate days) I found the Carn Eighe bypass path very unpleasant, too and also wondered if I'd lost the path. For my next trip I now think I'll just go over the top of Carn Eighe twice, heck it's all exercise, the ridge path is good from what I remember and hopefully I'll be enjoying lovely views. Thanks again :clap: :clap: :) :) .
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland