walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two for a rainy day

Two for a rainy day

Postby jim hutcheson » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:08 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Oighreag, Meall nam Maigheach

Date walked: 02/07/2016

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 825m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A couple of hills I decided would do for a rainy day, so forecast for Saturday wasn't favourable meant this was as good a reason to do them. Certainly when I drove up passed through plenty of showers, however I could see glimpses of blue skies in the Killin area.
Had read Frigates report from 2012 which gave me an idea of a route to consider. Drove up to the recommended parking spot beside the hut, yes there's plenty of space for cars however its taken over by a caravan, a camper van and a 4 x 4 van,which looked to be permanent fixtures. However got into a smaller lay-by opposite the hut and got the boots and waterproofs on.
My route up Meall Nam Maigheach was direct from the lay-by area, headed up and aimed for the dry-stone dyke which goes up to near the summit, reckon I did it in about 40 minutes, this Corbett lark can be easy sometimes :D .
I had read about the bogginess of this hill, however I was pleasantly surprised, it wasn't too bad.
Came off the summit in a SW direction and aimed for the road, followed this down for about a mile, couldn't see any obvious spots to cross over the Allt Bail A 'Mhuillin, which was in spate, however no concern as a bridge further down allows you to get across to start the route up Beinn nan Oigheag.
Navigation wasn't a problem as a couple of handy "hand-rails " in a ATV track goes up to about the 750 metre mark, however it's a soggy route, be prepared .After that an old fence-line goes up to the summit. The views all the way up were excellent, The Tarmagan ridge, the Lawers group and the Glen Lyon hills make it a worthwhile day out.
Was concerned about the Allt Bail A 'Mhuillin being in spate so returned by same route, however just as I got back to the spot where I left the car, saw a bridge which I could have crossed, however I enjoyed the series of waterfalls on the journey up on the road.Pleasant day out but be prepared for wet feet.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jim hutcheson
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:178
Fionas:106   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:93   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:10   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland