walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Goats not stags on precipitous Beinn Damh

Goats not stags on precipitous Beinn Damh

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:58 pm

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 04/06/2016

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 980m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Damh has been at the top of my list since seeing Anne C's crystal clear photos taken on the 'mountain of the stag'. But I've had my eye on it longer than that - since seeing its shapely reflection in Loch Torridon when I climbed Beinn Alligin in 2011.

Maol Chean-dearg and Beinn Damh reflected in Loch Torridon
DSC01680-large.jpg

So when our plan to climb Carn Mor Dearg was scuppered by a bike race we headed for Beinn Damh instead.
We parked by the Torridon Inn and followed the sign for the hill path, which soon crosses the main road and climbs steeply through majestic old Scots Pines. This Corbett is only 12 metres short of Munro height but starting at sea level it feels more like a Munro to climb than a lot of Munros do. I also think it would have a more celebrated status if it wasn't just across the way from the big Torridon three: Alligin, Liathach and Eighe.

Good path through woods
IMG_0787-large.JPG

The path follows the west side of the Allt Coire Roill which can be heard below and at the head of the gorge makes a spectacular 30m plunge over a sandstone cliff. Just beyond the waterfall, at the edge of the woods, the path divides, the right fork climbing SW into the corrie of Toll Ban.

Moira and Beinn Alligin framed by Scots Pines
IMG_0791-largec.JPG

Where path divides
IMG_0794c-large.JPG

Path leading to Beinn Damh's ridge
IMG_0795-large.JPG

Parts of the path are badly eroded as it nears the ridge
IMG_0798c-large.JPG

Cairn marking where path meets ridge
IMG_0799c-large.JPG

Once we reached the cairn the gradient eased and we took a left turn SE along the ridge on an initially good path, skirting the stony north peak and onto a section of quartzite boulders where it became less distinct. A helpful succession of cairns have been built indicating the best line over the boulders to the low point on the ridge which lies south of the northern top.

Loch Damh, distant Loch Carron and Beinn Bhan
IMG_0800-largec.JPG

Turning west along the ridge leads to Sgurr na Bana Mhoraire
IMG_0803c-large.JPG

The ridge narrows quite dramatically and gives excellent views of Beinn Damh's cliffs, NE to Torridon and SE into the Coulin Forest.

Beinn Damh's cliffs
IMG_0805c-large.JPG

Sheer drop into Toll nam Biast (steeper than it looks!)
IMG_0809c-large.JPG

Rocky going to the summit
IMG_0810-large.JPG

There was a point on the path traversing the side of the ridge I became aware of the exposure and decided this would not be a good place to trip or have a stumble! While ruminating on the logistics of my precarious situation I was also aware of the persistent sound of an animal that sounded distressed - or at least agitated if not distressed. I took it to be a sheep although it wasn't quite your standard domesticated sheep baa - a bit more harsh and manic - not that I'm an expert on ovine vocals!

Then I saw them. Two goats and a kid who stood and eyed me as if in disbelief anyone other than them should have stumbled into their habitat. And stumble is an apt word here as compared with their nimbleness on that steep rocky terrain, stumbling is what I was doing. The pyschological moment passed, they broke their gaze and disappeared fast down steep scree and I didn't see or hear from them again.

Goats with kid
IMG_0811c-large.JPG

The summit cairn of Spidean Coir'an Laoigh sits on the brink of a very steep east facing corrie, commanding panoramic views SE to the Coulin Forest and north to the giants of Torridon.

Summit cairn
IMG_0815-large.JPG

Zoomed to Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh
IMG_0817c-large.JPG

Maol Chean-dearg and Ruadh-stac
IMG_0812c-large.JPG

Maol Chean-dearg will always be special as it was my first Torridon peak, climbed with Andrew and James a few weeks after moving north in 2001. I'll always be indebted to Andrew for introducing me to these wonderful hills which have drawn me back again and again since that first climb.

Moira at summit
IMG_0818c-large.JPG

We sat for a while drinking coffee and eating pieces, absorbing the grandeur of the place until my need to get back early and the fact the ascent took longer than expected made me want to get going. I was feeling uncharacteristically twitchy, perhaps because of the time and also that moment of feeling exposed on the way up. I guess it does no harm to have these moments to focus ones mind on the need to be careful. I don't know exactly where it was Kath lost her life but I know it was somewhere on a hill we could see and not far from where we were walking. I often think of her.

Rocky descent
IMG_0819c-large.JPG

We made better time on the way down and once in sight of Sgurr na Bana Mhoraire I could see the right fork in the path heading for the path off the ridge, so when I reached the fork I took it. I assumed it was a short cut, but Moira wasn't convinced. Whether it was quicker or not I don't know but from above it looked like it should have been.

Right fork in path
IMG_0820-large.JPG

View of Loch Torridon and out to sea
IMG_0821-large.JPG

This shows difference in colour of rock that makes up Liathach and Beinn Eighe
IMG_0823c-large.JPG

Village of Torridon strung along the foot of Liathach
IMG_0825c-large.JPG

For us Beinn Damh lived up to its glowing WH reputation - even if we met goats instead of stags. It's a rugged hill of character and completely worthy of being up there with the big boys of Torridon, if a little shorter in stature.
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Goats not stags on precipitous Beinn Damh

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:54 am

I tried to add a couple of photos taken on Maol Chean-dearg in 2001 but that caused the photos already in to become jumbled which it has taken me a while to sort out. :roll:

So although there is room for more photos in the report I won't risk that again and will add them here.

On Maol Chean-dearg summit with Andrew in 2001
EPSON022-large.jpg

With James and Beinn Damh behind
EPSON021-large.jpg
dogplodder

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:27 pm

This hill has just gone from off the radar to the top of the list - those views are brilliant.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:39 pm

What fantastic views you get from there when the clouds stay away!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:47 pm

Top stuff - was on Ruadh Stac Beag with my dad at the same time, but this could easily have been another contender that day :) . I've not seen that many goats in the Highlands. I tend to associate them much more with the hills of Snowdonia.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:52 am

Gordie12 wrote:This hill has just gone from off the radar to the top of the list - those views are brilliant.

This hill is worth the long drive - but make sure you get a good day for those views! 8)
dogplodder

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:48 pm

One of my fav Corbetts :D Glad you enjoyed it, girls! I'm currently eyeing the Graham next to Beinn Damh (Beinn na h-Eaglaise), hopefully just as good a viewpoint... Shame weekend weather took a turn for worse. We got soaked last Sunday in Alladale :roll: and the upcoming Saturday looks like "whirlpool" day.

We saw goats crossing the Strathcarron road not that long ago, also met a small herd on An Teallach once. They seem to thrive in the Highlands :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby basscadet » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Yes the views are lovely, and you obviously have the equipment and talent to capture it on film (or is it SD card nowadays?) - just beautiful :D
I seem to see a lot of goats - these look like ferals rather than the (supposed) native species - Callater Bill always used to bang on about how many feral goats are out there, and how that cheats folk out of seeing the real Scottish ones - well I didn't know what he meant really - met plenty of goats, of many different varieties - especially in Kintail where we seem to go every year in early March for a gander at their cute kids. Then I met some Goats on Beinn Sguilard and I knew what he meant - the natives are massive - about the size of a highland pony with horns 3 foot long and a stench that would awaken the dead - the stuff of nightmares :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Will769 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:23 pm

what a nice report :clap:

started to do this Corbett 2 years ago and wife started to feel unwell part way up, so we turned back. I am looking forward to trying again hopefully this year. 8)
Will769
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:35 pm

basscadet wrote:Yes the views are lovely, and you obviously have the equipment and talent to capture it on film (or is it SD card nowadays?) - just beautiful :D
I seem to see a lot of goats - these look like ferals rather than the (supposed) native species - Callater Bill always used to bang on about how many feral goats are out there, and how that cheats folk out of seeing the real Scottish ones - well I didn't know what he meant really - met plenty of goats, of many different varieties - especially in Kintail where we seem to go every year in early March for a gander at their cute kids. Then I met some Goats on Beinn Sguilard and I knew what he meant - the natives are massive - about the size of a highland pony with horns 3 foot long and a stench that would awaken the dead - the stuff of nightmares :lol:

Are these on Slioch feral?
DSC_0447-largel.jpg

And this one by path to Scoraig?
DSC02203-large.JPG
dogplodder

Postby Borderhugh » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:58 pm

You certainly got good weather for what looks a great corbett with stunning views. I have fished Beinn Damph but not been up it. Torridon is very special and you have definitely captured some of its majesty there. Cant wait to do these as well as the big boys across the glen. :clap:
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:08 pm

This is a wonderful hill, with superb views all around, as you say keep it for a fine clear day, it's so worth it. What an area one of the many gems of Scotland.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby basscadet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:19 am

dogplodder wrote:
Are these on Slioch feral?

Oh I wasn't saying I was an expert or anything :shock:

I can say that the goats I have seen by Loch Maree are about half the size of those I saw on Sguilard.

Although if you were to line up a goat from Loch Lomond, Loch Maree, Kintail, Glen Creran, and Kinlochleven, I would be able to tell you where each goat came from.. They all have their own characteristics.

I saw an article in a hunting/fishing magazine recently, in which a guy went hunting for goats in Ardnamurchan. The gamekeeper/ghillie said that he had gathered the native goat stock from all over Scotland to build up his herd for sport. The pic of the beast they shot and the description of the smell was definitely one of the giants. :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:25 pm

simon-b wrote:What fantastic views you get from there when the clouds stay away!

Definitely worth waiting for a good forecast for this one. 8)
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Like you this one has been one of my priorities for a hill day for a while now, just need the weather you got :lol: Great report - good advert for a stunning area!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland