walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5 years, 1 week and 1 compleat day

5 years, 1 week and 1 compleat day

by simon-b » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:18 am

Route description: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhòr

Date walked: 28/06/2016

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 39.3 km

Ascent: 1720m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: 5 years, 1 week and 1 compleat day

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Many congrats from me Simon :clap: :clap: Enjoyed reading your report as always 8)
Having walked with you once or twice I know how dedicated you have been to the cause :lol: :lol:
I doubt if there is anyone who knows more about the Munro's than you and your pronunciation is legendary :lol: :lol:
What next? :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Well done Simon always enjoyed reading your TRs,and always liked reading your replies on some of my TRs :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mamoset » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Congratulations simon, done them in good time too :clap: oh, nice report as well :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Huge congratulations Simon, that is a great achievement to do them all in such a short period of time and as day trips as well! :clap: 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby simon-b » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Děkuju mockrát Petře! You've been making a pretty good effort yourself.

Thanks acancha. Other people's reports on this site have helped and inspired me, so glad if I can do the same.

Cheers Hugh. It's nice to have got there.

Thanks JP. I do prefer to walk in, although there were some high level car park starts!

Cheers Andy. I'm pretty sure Sheasgaich is a dairy free cheesecake, so you'll be alright there (the name does mean peak of the corrie of milkless cattle, after all).

Thanks Guinessman. I see you're just 10 short of celebrating with a pint of the black stuff.

Thank you Evie. Our trip to Knoydart was great fun.

Thanks Martin and Denise. Good luck with Sgurr na Gillean, you'll get there.

Thanks a lot Karen. You've come a long way since that day on the Loch Lochy two.

Cheers Pete. Walking rather than cycling works for you and me; each to their own.

Bruce, it was nice to meet you. One of our trips involved one of the more interesting transport stops I mentioned, of course.

Thanks Ally. On the last trip up, I left a rainy Yorkshire for a sunny Glen Dessarry.

Thank you RTC. The Cuillins test us all to the limit. Well done for giving them a go.

Cheers Anthony. As you completed the Wainwrights with Great End, I had to finish with something appropriate in Scotland.

Thanks dav. Those views really made the day, revealing themselves right on cue.

Fife Flyer wrote:your pronunciation is legendary

I suppose hearing words like cheesecake, loony bin and Craig Meggie pronounced in a Yorkshire accent must sound quite legendary. Cheers Martin. What next? Plenty of new hills to climb all over Britain.

Thanks mamoset. As I've said before, your Wainwright completion report a few years ago inspired me, and helped spur me on.

Thank you Silverhill. Your wild camping trips sounded like great fun too.

And to everyone, thanks to all of those who've helped me over the last 5 years. A lot of the walks have been solo, but I couldn't have done the whole lot without other people's support.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby jamesjones » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:25 am

Congratulations Simon,

Don't become a stranger now that you've completed. Hope to walk with you again in the future. Awesome effort and good luck with any future walking.

Jimmy
jamesjones
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:9   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:91   

Postby robertphillips » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:45 am

well done simon. :clap: :clap: :clap:
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby goth_angel » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:45 pm

Congratulations on your compleation. I like the post walk celebration! :clap: :clap:

5 years from England is good going. It's taken me 8 to break the ton though I do live in Kent! I also don't often walk in bad weather which I think you kind of have to do to make big inroads into the list from South of the border.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Congratulations - a great way to finish! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby cmarcol » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Great effort Simon! Well done. Glad to have been a part of the 282 bump ride!

I was just talking about you to someone at the weekend. We were discussing the Aonach Eagach and I agreed to do it again. I said in conversation something like "the guy I was with that day can't be far away now." Spooky!

Make sure that you still give us a shout if you're up for an adventure during the holidays. I have a feeling you aren't the type to stop at Munros only :lol:
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pamfox » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Congratulations and fantastic stuff Simon :D :clap: I'm so pleased that you've managed to complete them just as you planned. I've watched you complete your Wainwrights and Munros over the last 7 years and it's a massive achievement. It's been good to hear your stories and be a small part of some of them. Your commitment is amazing. What will you do next? I don't think you'll be putting your boots away for long :) Well done Si and thanks for getting me started
pamfox

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:133   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Well done Simon a great achievement. 8)
As you say a lot of great hills left to climb. I would recommend Suilven if you havn't done it ~ or even if you have.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:34 pm

Congratulations, feel inspired by your report .
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:35 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Well done Simon always enjoyed reading your TRs,and always liked reading your replies on some of my TRs :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks mate!

Jimmy, I'll not be disappearing :)

Cheers, Robert

Thanks, goth_angel. It has been a bit easier for me living nearer to the border. 100 from Kent is good going.

dogplodder, the first hill I climbed after compleating was Beinn Damh. Thanks for your report, showing the views I missed!

cmarcol wrote:I was just talking about you to someone at the weekend. We were discussing the Aonach Eagach and I agreed to do it again. I said in conversation something like "the guy I was with that day can't be far away now."

If you mean Saturday, I was driving home through the Central Belt then. So I wasn't far away! Enjoy your return to AE, Cat.

pamfox wrote:Congratulations and fantastic stuff Simon :D :clap: I'm so pleased that you've managed to complete them just as you planned. I've watched you complete your Wainwrights and Munros over the last 7 years and it's a massive achievement. It's been good to hear your stories and be a small part of some of them. Your commitment is amazing. What will you do next? I don't think you'll be putting your boots away for long :) Well done Si and thanks for getting me started

Thanks a lot, Pam. One of the things I'll be doing next is joining you and our friends on some of your remaining Wainwrights, I'd imagine. And then Arran, hopefully.

Thanks Sunset tripper. There are quite a few in Assynt I'd like to do.

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Congratulations, feel inspired by your report .

Cheers! It all started for me in the Cairngorms.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:41 pm

Congratulations :D . Nothing like saving the longest till last :lol: . Weather could have been a lot worse too. Great hills, and ones I haven't been back to yet since I finished.....soon perhaps.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

33 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland