walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Ghlusaid and a couple of pals at Cluanie

Carn Ghlusaid and a couple of pals at Cluanie

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:59 am

Route description: Sgùrr nan Conbhairean round

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sàil Chaorainn, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 02/07/2016

Time taken: 6.9 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1322m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On the second day of my solo camping trip to Kintail and beyond, I was heading for my last Kintail Munros, north of Loch Cluanie. Up and out early as I was planning to meet up with Margaret at some point later on Skye.

Tracked down the starting point, the big car park on the loch side of the road at Lundie. Again the forecast wasn't great, but with only slight drizzle, I left the car at 6:10am and headed up the track towards the mast before heading right up the good stalkers path. This path continues on and up some steepish zig zags but nothing major, a nice easy no brainer lol

1 Climbing up from the main road and Loch Cluanie.JPG
Climbing up from the main road and Loch Cluanie

2 Couple of onlookers above the mast area.JPG
Couple of onlookers above the mast area

The clouds rose and fell around, I was keeping an eye on the South Shiel Ridge as a guage of conditions, they never really lost the cloudy caps all day but at least it stayed high enough with only the odd swirling low cloud around me.

3 The first Munro, Carn Ghlusaid skulking in the cloud.JPG
The first Munro, Carn Ghlusaid skulking in the cloud

4 Very helpful line of boulders up the slap to the path.JPG
Very helpful line of boulders up the slap to the path

5 Trying to catch a glimpse of the tops on the SSR.JPG
Trying to catch a glimpse of the tops on the SSR

6 Floating turbines on the south of Loch Cluanie.JPG
Floating turbines on the south of Loch Cluanie

Pushing on up the zig zags, the drizzle had stopped and a decent breeze dried everything out. I reached the edge of the plateau just after 8am so just short of 2 hrs to the first summit. There are two small cairns but the one at the back / North is the true summit but there isn't much difference. From here the views were great to the East and South, West and North still carried a fair bit of low swirling cloud but I could see the next two Munros ahead.

7 First summit cairn comes into view on the wee plateau.JPG
First summit cairn comes into view on the wee plateau

8 Munro #260.JPG
1st Munro of the day, number 260 in all

9 Looking over to 261 and 262.JPG
Looking over to 261 and 262

No point hanging around or stopping for a munch, quick handful of fruit and nuts and off again. Very slight drop before starting the next push up to Creag a'Chaorainn then round, down and a bit more up to Sgurr nan Conbhairean. Although a huge hill,, I didn't really get the feeling of its full 1110 mtrs. Decided to sit here for a while, was only 9:27am, nice views, light breeze and rain still staying away.

10 Over the ridge to the second summit, Sgurr nan Conbhairean.JPG
Over the ridge to the second summit, Sgurr nan Conbhairean

11 Still smiling.JPG
Still smiling

12 Sun speckled landscape.JPG
Sun speckled landscape

13 Top of number 2.JPG
Top of number 2

9:45am headed off towards summit number 3 .......

14 Still hopeful the cloud will give way to the ever resiliant sun.JPG
Still hopeful the cloud will give way to the ever resiliant sun

15 Snow still melting into a wee lochan, rainbow colours in the water just didnt show on the picture.JPG
Snow still melting into a wee lochan, rainbow colours in the water just didnt show on the picture

..........and arrived, Sail Chaorainn at 10:23, this girls on a roll :D

16 Top of 3rd Munro of the day, Sail Chaorainn.JPG
Top of 3rd Munro of the day, Sail Chaorainn

17 View back to the middle summit.JPG
View back to the middle summit

Stopped to check in with John by txt, just as a wee spit of rain fell. Decided to head off, backtracking towards Sgurr nan Conbhairean.

18 A wee green lochan.jpg
A wee green lochan

19 View North I think.JPG
View North, I think

On checking to the West,,where all the weather was coming from this weekend, I could see nothing, just grey, grey and grey,,no hills, sky, water etc. Meant only one thing, weather was coming, and it was coming right at ME! Pushed over and up Conbhairean and as the rain got heavier,,stopped to don the waterproof trousers, just as the heavens opened and a hooly blew up. Camera buried in a dry bag and I headed off on the bypass path round and under Conbhairean towards the ridge of my descent.

I got a real battering as I headed round the hillside, but thankfully, it was short lived and by the time I reached the top of the ridge, it was hoods down and winds dropped again.

Descending the ridge was very pleasant, again a path leads all the way down to Meal Breac and my lovely views were back, sun bright above the high clouds, and a skip in my step. Enjoying this.

With the rain now back on and getting heavier, I could see the road below and the old military road, the return route, off on the hillside to the East. I had read on the WH route that if the river proves hard to cross, you can slide down below the military road and cross there. This turned out to be my only option. You literally creep down right beside the river and into trees. Hard to pick a way over here and I ended up going in to the middle, then down the centre then continue across to the other side. Got there, with only 1 soggy foot. :lol:

On reaching the other side, I was still in the trees and could see the military road ahead and above me, further away than the main road below. After fighting through bracken that was head and shoulders higher than me, I decided not to climb any further and on reaching an uphill track, turned right instead and down the short distance to the main road. The rain by now was battering down.

12:55 back on the main road and heading round to Lundie and the car. Reached the car at 1pm and soaked to the skin lol. Off with the w/proofs, kept boots on,,jumped in and headed back to Shiel Bridge, too wet to try getting in to dry clothes here lol.

21  Back along the road in the sodding rain!!.jpg
Back along the road in the sodding rain!!

3 Munros, fab route, all done and dusted by 1pm. Washed, changed and on Skye by 2:30 to meet Margaret at Kyleakin gala day. Epic.

P1010273.JPG
Over the sea (bridge) to Skye

13592404_524768417714523_7077771115400057233_n.jpg
The people you meet lol
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Carn Ghlusaid and a couple of pals at Cluanie

Postby Munchie » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Great photos and blog. Lovely seeing ye mrs x
Munchie
Mountaineer

Postby AndrewC » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:35 pm

Looks like your trip to Kintail was more successful than mine. We had a whole week there with mainly poor weather - at least it kept the midges away :) .
I was solo on those hills earlier in the week (27th June) and had the driving rain and clag all the way up and down. Could hardly stand at points on Conbhairean and turned back as I was starting to think that the trip back from Sail Chaorainn would be less than fun/getting a bit dicey in those conditions. As it was I tracked back towards Ghluasaid and then contoured round to pick up the ascent route at the narrow part of the ridge. Relieved to get down in one piece! The hills will wait for me....
AndrewC
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:90   

Postby GillC » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:38 pm

AndrewC wrote:Looks like your trip to Kintail was more successful than mine. We had a whole week there with mainly poor weather - at least it kept the midges away :) .
I was solo on those hills earlier in the week (27th June) and had the driving rain and clag all the way up and down. Could hardly stand at points on Conbhairean and turned back as I was starting to think that the trip back from Sail Chaorainn would be less than fun/getting a bit dicey in those conditions. As it was I tracked back towards Ghluasaid and then contoured round to pick up the ascent route at the narrow part of the ridge. Relieved to get down in one piece! The hills will wait for me....

Hey..what a shame you got blown off...nice wee tidy set of hills if you get it clear (ish) even better on a nice calm day lol. They will indeed be there waiting for you again 8)
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland