walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My 1st Munro for charity has me hooked.

My 1st Munro for charity has me hooked.

Postby Safehands1 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 17/03/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Ascent: 974m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So on 17th March 2016 a very unfit Alan rose early to walk up what was originally described to me as "just a big hill" for Alzheimers Scotland charity. Little did I know that a Munro was MOUNTAIN! The group of us arrived at Rowardennen car park. Nervous and puffing away on cigarettes before we began. It was an extremely warm March morning aswell. So we set off. Nice flat start. Easy. Then we hit the Forrest. This was steep and hard for someone who's idea of a big hill is something slightly steeper than the hill I walk down to go to shops to get my baccy from. Once we got out of the Forrest the sun was beating down on us. Group now starting to fragment as the slower more weighteir ones (that's me) start getting left behind. The segment after the Forrest was lovely and flat with a steady incline. Turning round and looking at Loch Lomond every now and again was lovely sight. The sun was bright but then I started to feel cooler. Ah. Snow was now below my feet all of a sudden. This made it harder as the path slowly started to disappear. The peak although in sight never seemed to get closer. I thought I'd entered the twilight zone. But what an intimidating sight Ben was. It's like he's saying to me "give up now Alan, I've beaten you". No! I am from the Lake District I don't give up. Then Ben Lomond tried his final attempt at a knockout punch. The final steep bit, all covered in snow, my fellow companions already making their way down. The person I was lagging behind with that was the straw that broke her. I was so close. I wasn't gonna let a bit of snow beat me. I soldiered on till I finally made it shout DRAGO!!! As I got to the top. Leaning on the pedestal with stone inside knackered but satisfied. The views were out of this world. They were like something out of a fairytale book. I am hooked on this "Big hill" and I am taking my 11yr daughter to experience it soon.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Safehands1 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Safehands1
Hill Bagger

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: My 1st Munro for charity has me hooked.

Postby martin.h » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Well done Alan and for a worthy cause :clap:
Now you're hooked it's a great way to get fit and stay fit :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:17
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:214   Islands:21
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland