walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas-bheinn Mhor (Loch Ness)

Glas-bheinn Mhor (Loch Ness)

Postby rob munbett » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:45 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Glas-bheinn Mhor

Date walked: 29/06/2016

Distance: 13 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A while ago I climbed Meall Fuar-mhonaidh on its own and looked across to the distant Glas-bheinn Mhor and said to myself that one day I would go over there .... so today was the day. I parked at Grotaig and walked up the excellent path on to the NE ridge of MF-m and then descended and traversed around Nighean a' Mhill to the shores of Loch nam Breac Dearga.
P1030295.JPG
First view of the distant Glas-bheinn Mhor
P1030298.JPG
Glas-bheinn Mhor from the northern shore of Loch nam Breac Dearga
Here, already, I felt off the beaten track as I looked across the barren landscape to Glas-bheinn Mhor. I was glad there was good visibility as I plodded through the tussocks, bog and peat hags. It was very difficult to walk in a straight line as I weaved my way over to the crags of the hill.
P1030307.JPG
Approaching the crags of Glas-bheinn Mhor
As I made my ascent on to the summit plateau, I paused to look back towards the impressive MF-m in the distance.
P1030308.JPG
Looking back on the route
I really wasn't looking forward to the return plod! It was an easy final stroll over to the summit and a relief to sit for a while to have a well-deserved lunch.
P1030309.JPG
Approaching the summit
G-bM summit pan.JPG
The trig on Glas-bheinn Mhor looking back to Meall Fuar-mhonaidh
On the return, I aimed more directly for the gap between Nighean a' Mhill and Mac a' Mhill.
P1030303.JPG
Aiming for the gap on the return route
Once through here, there was a bit of descent before a final climb back on to the ridge of MF-m, where a I sat for a bit of a rest before walking back down the track to the car-park. All in all, a very satisfying day on pretty difficult terrain with a real sense of remoteness.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland