walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lonely Trek up Beinn Ime

Lonely Trek up Beinn Ime

Postby Safehands1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 05/07/2016

Ascent: 1011m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well arriving in Arrochar with the clouds looking dark and gloomy already I could see the menacingly looking The Cobbler looking angrily down at me to the left and to the right a smugly looking Beinn Narnain. Hidden behind these two was my goal. Beinn Ime. But these two foot soldiers were not going to make it easy for me. As I first entered the Forrest it was dark and humid, zig zagging my way slowly upwards. Reached the park bench. I had to take a chug of water. Then on I went. These zig zag paths just seemed never ending then I heard the gushing of a fast water fall and felt a breeze. I was out the Forrest. Again The Cobbler staring down at me from the left and Beinn Narnain from the right both covered in cloud. This is when wind started and the rain began to fall. On with the water proofs. By which point Beinn Ime's 2 foot soldiers were completely submerged by cloud. I took refuge under a nearby large rock and had some sandwiches. Then literally instantly the cloud disappeared and the sun came out. Wind down to only a breeze.... Off I go again. Within 5 minutes The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain are submerged by cloud again and the wind picks up, here comes the rain again. Least to say I was not amused. Again within minutes clouds cleared and sun came out. This was a general theme of the day. I finally came to in between The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain and got my 1st glimpse of my target Beinn Ime. Or at least some of it as it top 3rd of it was covered in cloud. Time to move on. Heading towards the fence before the steep climb the trail disappeared. And it was just bog land. So this was the 1st offensive stroke from Beinn Ime himself huh. Almost worked as I slipped and went rolling around in the wet cold bog land. Water bladder breaking off my bag and sinking in to the bog. The rain started again and washed the bogginess from me. As I walked through the gate. The 1st peak looking down laughing at me as I continued to climb. The higher I get the thicker the cloud. Beinn Ime was now out of Ideas. I reached the 1st peak and followed the trail round the left side of the Rockies. I could barely see 5 meters in front of me so I was treading very carefully. Seen a gorgeous white horse that seemed out of place up here. However there it was the Cairn at the summit of Beinn Ime. Wind howling as I climbed thouse final 3 steps to reach out and touch the Cairn. There was a certain eeriness to it all, all alone, on top of a lonely cloud covered mountain.. What could possibly go wrong. Maybe the white horse was the white flag of Beinn Ime finally giving up. Funnily enough as I got back down inbetween The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain the clouds disappeared and the sun bore down. I needed water but my water bladder sank in the bog. Luckily I had an empty plastic bottle in my bag which I filled up at a nearby waterfall and had a good chug of water.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Finally a photo of me and the Cairn
image.jpeg
Just a few more steps
image.jpeg
I can see the Cairn
image.jpeg
Here we are
image.jpeg
A white horse signals the surrender of Beinn Ime
image.jpeg
Almost there
image.jpeg
Getting there slowly
image.jpeg
A break in the cloud give a lovely Veiw of Ben Lomond
image.jpeg
Cloud coming in again, Veiw of The Cobbler from half way up Beinn Ime
image.jpeg
All up hill from here!
image.jpeg
My 1st view of my Target Beinn Ime
image.jpeg
Cloud covering The Cobbler
Safehands1
Hill Bagger

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland