walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

She was Keen to get out

She was Keen to get out

Postby teaandpies » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:22 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 07/07/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 810m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Samantha and I were spending a couple of days away in Perthshire so we took the chance to take to walk Mount Keen. This was a decent choice as it's pretty easy and this would be Samantha's first outing of the year. She was up for it but knew she'd be a little rusty :lol:

The drive to the carpark is fine, Glen Esk is beautiful but Edzell was my highlight. What a nice wee town to pass through.

Invermark carpark looking busy.

I saw these in the carpark bin and had a wee chuckle. Somebody had a bad time :lol:

On the right path for sure. The house trying to tempt us in with the promise of tea and apple pie :think:

The path all the way from the car park to summit is decent.

The Queens Well came into view in it's glorious location.

The Queens Well.

Samantha's first walk this year. A wee stop at the well to take on some water...not the well's water.

Nice but it's not remote enough for my liking :lol:

Looking back down Glen Mark :)

The first glimpse of Mount Keen.

It's getting closer.

The walk is pretty boring but the air force was keeping me entertained. First a couple of American jets of which I got no pictures off but then these beasts came thundering by... C-130s? If U had been further up or down the hill I would have had a much better view point.

Can you spot both planes in the below pictures?

On with the walk.

A big pointless cairn?

Samantha on route.

Once we got to the turn off towards the hill Samantha needed a pee :roll: After much faffing about she found a 'suitable' place and off we went.

The path to Mount Keen. It's longer than it looks.

Looking over to a more famous Cairngorm Munro :wink:

There's a false summit, ach well.

Getting there.

Thar she blows...it was pretty windy at the summit.

The summit Trig.

Samantha keeping out of the wind :lol:

A last summit pic before heading back down.

I seen this rock on my way up but on the way down I noticed it had a massive B on it. Anybody know why?

Having a wee rest. From here we just powered it down the hill.

I don't about anybody else but when opening this bloody gate it I get weak electric shocks, it's not the best :shock:

We left the Invermark carpark heading to Tarfside to use the public convenience. I got changed there, Samantha elected to get changed in the car at Invermark...slightly awkward for her I'm sure.

We stopped in Edzell to find something to eat. There's a wee place called 'The Tuc Inn' it's a chippy/café that does decent fish and chips but the chips are bought in. I got a large soft scoop ice-cream cone to go :D

After watching one of Benviroments videos lately I've been trying to spend a little money in a wee town close to the hill(s) I'd be walking that day. As Ben Said, people tend to pass through these places but never stop to contribute anything.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland