walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Unlucky for some...Munro number 13 (Ben Vorlich - Loch Earn)

Unlucky for some...Munro number 13 (Ben Vorlich - Loch Earn)

Postby KatTai » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 13/07/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Reached Munro number 13 today, well me and Millie did anyway. Cuddly toy Dottie is on 12 and Moss trails well behind on just 4! Also was our first new Munro of 2016 :shock: Think we need to get out more!

I set off early to make sure I'd get parked, but as it turned out I had nothing to worry about as there were only a couple of cars in the layby so plenty of space to park. Still, it meant there would be plenty of time left at the end for the dogs to have a swim in the loch.

Off we set, crossing back over the bridge and between the gateposts onto the Ardvorlich estate, where there were signs up directing walks where to go, and a watering can not playing a very good game of hide & seek.

b.jpg

At the first gate was another notice, it didn't affect me as I was just going up Ben Vorlich, but may be useful for other walkers!

c.jpg

We passed through several gates, finding one locked and the dogs couldn't get over the stile, but they found another way through so we could continue on with our walk.

18.jpg

From there we were out on the hill, and all by ourselves as there was no one ahead of us and no one behind us. It was also strangely quiet. There were a group of four what I think were hybrid hooded crows, the ones I got a good look at were all paler above, but not pale enough to be full hoodies though I didn't see the underside clearly, and they were moving around without so much as a "caw". I did find myself wondering what they were up to and decided whatever it was, it was probably no good LOL

a1.jpg

Further up there were four silent ravens flying around, and even higher up four ptarmigan who blended in extremely well with the rocks. Moss spotted them, her attention had been on the sheep but upon seeing the ptarmigan she decided she wanted to herd them instead. Fortunately for the sheep and ptarmigan, she was kept on the lead!

h5.jpg

The only real sound was from the meadow pipits that popped up everywhere, though I also heard and saw ring ouzel and wheatear.

g.jpg

I was distracted several times by the wildlife and getting the dogs to pose for the camera, so we weren't getting anywhere quickly but with retired dog being looked after by my sister-in-law I didn't feel the need to rush.

5.jpg

Of course, when I look across to the hills behind Ben Vorlich my view did change somewhat...

h6.jpg

Though it was in sharp contrast to the view of the loch behind us!

h12a.jpg

(I joined the photos together for that one!). I had a feeling we were going to get soggy, especially as I could see rain sweeping across the hills to our right. But we kept on going up, if it rained I'd get soggy but with three dogs soggy walks are nothing new. The last section was the worst, it was a lot steeper than it looked and as we were approaching the final bit the cloud surrounded us. I'm sure the view are lovely from up there though!

h9.jpg

There were glimpses back down to the loch and across in the distance to our left, but Stuc a'Chroin was totally hidden by cloud. While not one I had planned for today, Millie is 12 this year and while still a very capable munro-dog she is starting to feel her age, I had been wanting to see the mountain for myself for future consideration of whether or not it was going to be one I wanted to try with Moss at a later date. Despite the poor views, the dogs still had to pose for their summit photos! I couldn't remember which was the true summit marker, I think it was the pile of rocks, so they had their photos taken with both.

9.jpg

10.jpg

The sky was getting darker, so we started heading back down before it started to rain as I didn't fancy walking down the steep bit when it was wet especially with Moss was on the lead (Millie was let off as she just follows behind or go a little way ahead and waits for me). It was as we were nearly at the bottom of the steep bit that we met the first people on the whole walk, another couple walking up with their dog.

A bit further down, I stopped to take some photos of the dogs and a guy came along and offered to take a photo of me with the dogs, second one this year! I don't usually get my photo taken, I'm usually behind the camera lol

12.jpg

I chatted with the guy for a bit before we both continued on our way. It was not long after this that the rain started and I tucked the camera away under my jacket (not easy with an SLR!). There were lots more people now heading up the hill so maybe I had made the right choice to arrive early after all, though a bit later on when I looked by the skies were becoming clear! Very mixed weather! There was still a couple of parking spaces left in the layby though.

It had brightened up again by the time we reached the loch, and we found a bit of beach where the dogs could have a well-earned swim.

37.jpg

43.jpg

On one of the times when the ball was brought back, I spotted something that looked like a spiderweb across the rocks at the dogs feet. Turned out to be quite a long length of fishing line complete with weights and a wriggly fake worm thing. I put it on the wall and threw it in the bin before we left, wouldn't want the duck or her ducklings harming themselves on that!

h15.jpg

It was great to be back in the hills, feels like I haven't done much at all this year, and this will be one I'll return to if only to decide whether on not I want to try and do Stuc a'Chroin as well!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Re: Unlucky for some...Munro number 13 (Ben Vorlich - Loch E

Postby dav2930 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:18 pm

Very nice report, enjoyed reading that. I like the Loch Earn Ben Vorlich (haven't been up the other one yet) - it's a fine, shapely hill with great views. The dogs seemed to love it! :clap:

Makes me wonder how Munro baggers who suffer from triskaidekaphobia get on when it comes to their 13th :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby KatTai » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:59 am

dav2930 wrote:Makes me wonder how Munro baggers who suffer from triskaidekaphobia get on when it comes to their 13th :lol:

Maybe they don't, maybe they are all stuck at 12 unable to go any further lol
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby skyeles » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:57 am

Great report - I did this and Stuc a Chroin a few years ago with my dear departed Weimaraner, Ghillie. Really enjoyable walk. Your dogs are beautiful (love those shots of them in the water!)
skyeles
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   

Postby KatTai » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:58 am

skyeles wrote:Great report - I did this and Stuc a Chroin a few years ago with my dear departed Weimaraner, Ghillie. Really enjoyable walk. Your dogs are beautiful (love those shots of them in the water!)

Thank you :D I try and pick walks where they can have a swim at some point because they love the water!
KatTai
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland