walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Conic Hill in sunny July

Conic Hill in sunny July

Postby Alastair S » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Route description: Conic Hill, Balmaha

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Conic Hill

Date walked: 23/07/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 360m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20100723.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So, the wife & I were off for a weekend break at a posh Loch Lomond loch-side hotel and while driving there on a gorgeous July day my wife suggested we go for a walk up Conic Hill. While my wife is not adverse to a decent walk she is adverse to anything that varies from the strictly horizontal. But she had spotted the walk in her bible - Scotland The Best - and who was I to po po such a splendid idea.

I tried to access this good site from my mobile but the connection was too slow so I came up with the route from a quick scan of the map. As it turned out Paul had already come up with (very nearly) the exact same route. The only difference is that we went on to the true 361m summit (@ NS 43280 92402) rather that stopping where the main path does at the 358m summit.

And it wasn't till I got home that I realized why there were huge numbers of fully back-packed walkers going the other way - 2 parts of this walk go along the West Highland Way in the opposite direction to the normal way this walk is tackled.

Anyway my wife took it steadily and while I chomped at the bit a wee bit we both enjoyed the excellent views and meet some interesting folk - including a Munro completest (is there another word for someone who has done them all?) for who this was his first outing since a recent heart attack.

up the WHW.JPG
Going up the West Highland Way part of the route.

at the tourist summit.jpg

back down.jpg

Panorama from half-way up (flickr link)

Another from near the tourist summit (flickr link)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Conic Hill in sunny July

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Alastair S wrote:interesting folk - including a Munro completest (is there another word for someone who has done them all?) for who this was his first outing since a recent heart attack.

They're often labelled a "Munroist"
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Alastair S » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Hmmmm Munroist...

Have heard the term before but thought it applied to anyone who was bagging them - i.e. it doesn't really convey the completest aspect. Oh well, it will have to do till we come up with something better... :)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Weeshazza » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:28 am

Conic hill is a good wee hill. It was my first hill. Your photos remind me of the day I went there for the first time....it was a lovely day. Have been twice now......the second time was a bit overcast but we did the full circular walk around the back of the hill. took around 3 hours, enjoyable tho!
Weeshazza
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland