walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Normal service is resumed at Loch Quoich

Normal service is resumed at Loch Quoich

Postby snowdonia7 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 27/06/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 1230m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Whilst the planned three day trek around Knoydart had been shelved we had the maps, and it was nearby so we decided to make our first trip into the area. We decided on Gleourich and Spidean Mialach, and set off for loch quoich.

We parked in light drizzle after scanning the road for the cairn referred to by Cameron McNeish as marking the start of the track (this appears to have been removed, although there is a metal post in the foilage).

There was a couple of guys who set off just ahead of us and one chap who followed a few minutes behind and we all seemed to climb at the same steady pace, and all arrived at the summit of Gleourich togather, although as the weather was pretty miserable Neil and I decided to press on before we stopped for lunch.

We ate at the bealach before the climb to Spidean Mialalch and then headed up into the murk. We arrived at the top at 977m where there is a fairly substantial cairn, then continued to the summit proper.

After a quick photo we headed south west for Loch Fearna then continued down to the roadside. As we walked down I commented to Neil how the day had restored my confidence in my hill fitness and ability to continue with the munros, regardless of the weather.
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland