walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Torridon via Achmelvich Beach and Gairloch

Glen Torridon via Achmelvich Beach and Gairloch

by walk aboot » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Date walked: 07/08/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Glen Torridon via Achmelvich Beach and Gairloch

Postby walk aboot » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:29 pm

:lol:

Thanks Scotjamie, you'll be another one that's already done Suilven and Quinaig, etc. then. My mates go every year so they'd already done a few of the hills around there...I've still to do a single one :? . Brilliant area though, definitely going back :D .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby MarkD » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:01 pm

I found Achmelvic beach to be a bit crowded with boats of all descriptions when I was along at Clachtoll which I feel has a better beach (no chippy though) and a bit quieter.

Some amazing rocks formations and nice images to remind me of my time there. Kylesku Hotel was nice but heavy on the pocket when it came to lunch let alone dinner. When we were at Stoer lighthouse sitting for a while the Great Skuas were quite close and you could see clearly that they are a strong bird. Back at Clachtoll sitting out on the rocks we watched as one pestered a Gannett long enough for it to give up its food and Gannetts aren't exactly small birds so a fiercesome reputation.

Next time I'm up there I'll climb a few more corbetts and grahams instead of slacking around the beach. :)
MarkD
Ambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby walk aboot » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:32 pm

We meant to visit the Kyleshu hotel but missed the turn off - figured we'd probably saved ourselves some money in the process :) .
walk aboot

Postby fingeez » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Hey Walk Aboot

Looks like you had a good trip :)

haha yeah the chippie is a bit random at the campsite, think i just missed you up that way lol, i was staying there on the 5th and 6th for Conival and Ben More Assynt. The beach is lovely there, although was mobbed by boats/canoes and all sorts haha. I still cant figure how big jeeps and caravans got down the wee road, spesh if they met another big jeep and caravan :shock:

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby walk aboot » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Acht, I think we were there just a few days before you, fingeez. Yup, the beach was mobbed, but if you went for a wander there before breakfast you could still get it to yourself for a short time :) . Still an amazing beach though, despite the crowds, hardly any sea debris litter (one of my pet moans, was looking for it).

Lucky you too, getting those hills done 8) .
walk aboot

Postby fingeez » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah i had a couple of walks early and late at night there. Yeah def was a really clean beach, with hardly any debris at all.

Yeah they were really good, had a brill walk. I was going round the north doing the 4 up that way, Met a man on Ben more that id met the day before on Ben Hope and had a blether laughing at meeting again lol. Im gonna get a reprt done soon for the 4 and trip :)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland