walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cleuch

Ben Cleuch

Postby Doug Tulloch » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:42 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 09/02/2010

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

21 jan 09 Ben Cleuch.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last week I made a short trip to Scotland to see my sister in Tillicoultry. I've had some health problems lately, haven't been in the hills since July and have had hardly any exercise since August, so this was a good opportunity to stretch my legs. I had three days on which I could get in at least some walking.

On Monday (19th Jan) I set off towards Ben Ever in fine rain which soon turned to snow as I headed up the Silver Glen. I got to the top of Ben Ever but by then I was in complete whiteout conditions with heavy snow. it was tricky even finding the summit - at first I thought it was this tiny cairn...

but then found this one which seemed slightly higher..

...anyway, my not very fit legs were tired by now, so it seemed best to head back down. The snow stopped when I emerged from the fog at about 1500ft. Here are a couple of photos of an unusually snowy Silver Glen:

As I emerged from the glen, bands of grey mist were moving up the Forth Valley and swirling around the Wallace Monument...

..and as I reached the valley floor the rain started again.

Back at base I had a look at the forecast for the next few days. Tuesday was much the same but it looked as if Wednesday might be a bit better. It was the last day I could use for walking anyway, so Wednesday or bust.

I set off up past Tillicoultry golf course about 8.30. There were some breaks in the cloud and as I climbed the zig-zag track up the front of The Nebbit, Dumyat was bathed in a pinkish sunlight...

...but there was still some cloud over the tops. Once again I was in hill fog at about 1500ft, although it was not quite as dense. When I reached the summit of Ben Ever once more, I could see both little cairns at once, and they are about 40m apart. This was an improvement. On the downside, more snow had fallen, it had drifted to at least a foot in places, and had formed an irritating crust which wasn't quite firm enough to support my weight. But, feeling fitter, I was undeterred and headed on down to the col with Ben Cleuch. As I started up the steep slope on the other side, the fog suddenly lifted and I got this glimpse of the little valley of the Daiglen:

but it quickly descended again.

Soon I was at the summit. The indicator, the shelter cairn and the many boulders round about were all deeply encrusted with frost.

A bitter wind was blowing from the south and the vis was still only around 50m if that. Sitting in the cairn were a couple of guys who had passed me on the way up. They had come up from Alva and were heading by Blairdenon Hill to the minor road NW of Dumyat (to those not either local or graduates of Stirling University - pronounced 'dum-eye-at') and thence down past the uni to Bridge of Allan. Nice on a summer's day but a long arduous trudge through the snow just now.

I set off to the SE. Again the fog cleared briefly to show the top of The Law with the Forth at Kincardine bathed in a golden light which doesn't show up too well in my hurried photo:

I followed the fence line down towards the col with Andrew Gannel Hill, which I had hoped to cross, passing more frosted boulders:

but the drifted snow became increasingly deep, so I veered off and went up the fence line for The Law. This is what it looked like at the summit;

It's a steep descent from the Law and I was soon out of the fog, then the snow too petered out. Soon I was above the confluence of the Daiglen and Gannel burns where I took this of the Mill Glen

and this of the Daiglen Burn

a nice spot where we used to have family picnics when I was a boy.

Then down the walkways and bridges of the Mill Glen, a dark and forbidding place on a day like this, back to Tillicoultry at about 12.30. A fine morning's walk in spite of the weather, and it had been good to be back out on the hill again. Now I'm back in Norwich, and planning my next venture north!
Doug Tulloch

Munros:183   Corbetts:36

Re: Ben Cleuch

Postby cjwaugh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:55 pm

This is the very first hill walking route I ever did way back in December 1999 in almost identicle conditions ,thanks for for the trip down memory lane doug :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby BVCSK » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:26 pm

I did a version of this walk in November.

Instead of starting at Tillicoultry I started at the car park in Alva Glen, headed up to the main track heading to Ben Ever but turned of to traverse The Nebit to the west and continuing along this track untill it turns sharp left, followed my nose up onto Craighorn and then staid on the plateu up to the summit of Ben Buck then south east to the summit of Ben Cleuch followed by a descent of The Law and a fairly level walk back to Alva Glen.

I thought that this was a very good day in the hills, it was pretty chilly at the top of Ben Cleuch where I had intended to lunch but hailstones and half a gale put paid to that. The killer for me was descending The Law it fairly does yer knees in!!

I have done a lot of walking in The Ochils in the last 6 months or so and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hope your fitness regime goes well.

Cheers

Bruce
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Doug Tulloch » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:31 pm

BVCSK wrote:Instead of starting at Tillicoultry I started at the car park in Alva Glen, headed up to the main track heading to Ben Ever but turned of to traverse The Nebit to the west and continuing along this track untill it turns sharp left, followed my nose up onto Craighorn and then staid on the plateu up to the summit of Ben Buck then south east to the summit of Ben Cleuch

Yes, I thought of doing it this way too, and probably will sometime. There's also a path up Wood Hill which looks good, or straight up Alva Glen and up a spur of Craighorn.... And of course, you don't have to come down the Law, you can always go over Andrew Gannel Hill and down the E side of the Gannel Burn..... One of the great things about these little Hillfoots glens is that there are just so many possible routes. I hope you get a lot more pleasure from them. Might bump into you one day!
Doug Tulloch

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:24 pm

Glad to see you've got out in the hills again :D I was suprised to see how snowy it was on the tops compared to the snow-free slopes above the Hillfoot villages.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Doug Tulloch » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:07 pm

Paul Webster wrote: I was suprised to see how snowy it was on the tops compared to the snow-free slopes above the Hillfoot villages.

Yes, I was quite taken aback on the second day to find myself so abruptly back in the snow! I had a brief glimpse towards Gleneagles (when did that windfarm appear?) and it looked as if it was just as clear of snow on the Perthshire side. I met a guy at the bottom of the Law who didn't seem to believe me when I told him how much snow was up there!
Doug Tulloch

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland