walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dun Rig from Quair Water

Dun Rig from Quair Water

Postby dickens96 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Route description: Dun Rig Horseshoe, Peebles

Fionas included on this walk: Dun Rig

Donalds included on this walk: Birkscairn Hill, Dun Rig

Date walked: 14/07/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 744m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Instead of doing the full horseshoe from Peebles I started from the Quair Water near to Glen House NT305336. From there you head along the Cross Border Drove Road that takes you onto the hills - fairly good going on a well made path, and well signposted to Peebles. After skirting around Birks Hill you come to a gate in a fence - the Cross Border road swings off right to head towards Peebles via Kirkhope Law, but I went left on a reasonable (at first!) path that heads up to Birkscairn Hill. Steepish in places but nothing too strenuous. After a brief refreshment stop at the cairn I followed a fence line that heads down to a very boggy peat-hag ridden bealach between Birkscairn Hill and Stake Law. A bit nasty in places, but fairly level going up to Stake Law. From there there's another nasty boggy bit between Stake Law and Dun Rig. Luckily it was relatively dry but would be a pig in wet weather - even still it slows you down a lot as you try to navigate your way through the peat hags. Got to the trig point on Dun Rig much slower than planned as a result - over three hours - and had a welcome coffee and sandwich there. Unfortunately it was a warm day, and as my hydration bladder had sprung a leak I'd only brought a bottle of water (and the coffee) which was rapidly going down.

I went back the way I'd came - I toyed with the idea of heading straight down from Birkscairn Hill over Birks Law, but I could see more peat hags awaited that way so I stuck to the same route. By now I was getting quite dehydrated - halfway back the water ran out, the sun came out and It became a real slog. I kept going by remembering I had a half bottle of (by now luke warm) water in the car, but also had a chilled bottle of Brew Dog IPA in the fridge at home. Almost felt like ice Cold in Alex :lol:

A good day, if a bit of a slog - further than I really wanted to do, but the peace, quiet and great views made up for that. I've some photos but need to process them before I can upload them. Oh - and have got a replacement bladder for the hydration system!
Last edited by dickens96 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Re: Dun Rig from Quair Water

Postby ExpatEddie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:10 am

Sounds a bit of a slog there, mate. Would mention that the drove road turns right and you turned left :o . When coming off Birkscairn over Birks Hill the peat hags are not a problem; easy walk off Birkscairn Hill although the faint path does vanish now and again :wink: . Hope you manage to do the full horseshoe sometime although I would warn you that the bogs you encountered on Stake Law are nothing compared to Glenrath Heights. :shock:
Looking forward to your photos

Was in your neck of the woods yesterday with the youngsters at Dirleton Castle - they loved it.
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Re: Dun Rig from Quair Water

Postby dickens96 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:48 am

Ooops - you are right got my left and right mixed up DOH :shock: Must be and age thing :crazy:

Yes it was a slog but in retrospect I enjoyed it. Glad you enjoyed Dirleton Castle - its a great place to live.
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland