walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg, Glen Lyon walk

Beinn Dearg, Glen Lyon walk

Postby U059361 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:07 am

Route description: Beinn Dearg, Innerwick, Glen Lyon

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 19/07/2016

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 627m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk starts very easily up forest roads till it passes out of the woods onto the open hill. It then becomes a fainter quadbike track up past the end of the trees and heading back along the top of the forest. Persevere as eventually a track branches off to the left up the slope. This bit is wet and boggy. No problem for a quadbike obviously but the worst parts can be avoided. I was wearing summer boots and managed to keep my feet dry. At the top the bealach is dry with little vegetation, so easy walking.
ImageCairn at bealach between Beinn Dearg and Creag Ard by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I saw this cairn and walked over to it. I plotted my route over to the fence line that I could see going all the way to the top. Some peat hags to be navigated before reaching the hill and then I gradually walked over to the fence. I couldn't see any path over so I cut a corner. There is a path beside the fence all the way to the end of the fence. The top cairn is visible a bit further over.
ImageBeinn Dearg top, with Carn Gorm by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I walked over to the southern edge for a better view but the Lawers range was in cloud then back to the fence line.
ImageView over Loch Rannoch from top of Beinn Dearg by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
It was a quick walk back to the bealach and I kept below the cairn going over to Creag Ard. No path here either. I walked right over to the far point of the Creag where there is a little cairn. This gives the best views.
ImageCreag Ard view to Lawers range by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
By now the weather had brightened up and Lawers and Tarmachan were clear of cloud.
ImageUpper Glen Lyon by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I walked back to the other top but stayed underneath it heading towards the track going to Cam Chreag. This is the best direction to head to the gate on the fence line which is out of sight till well down the hill. Be aware that once the fence is reached there is a lot of bracken to walk through to get back to the road. Had I known this I might have been tempted to cross the fence and go directly down the slope, avoiding most of it. I did spend a lot of time trying to miss as much of it as I could but still waded through lots of it. I was relieved to get through the final gate and back onto the road. I don't like bracken as I've picked up ticks elsewhere while walking in the stuff. None this time but you can never tell.
It is a good car park too with plenty of space.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland