walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

After Geallaig Hill ..... Meall Alvie - just to end the day

After Geallaig Hill ..... Meall Alvie - just to end the day

Postby rob munbett » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:57 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Alvie

Date walked: 17/07/2016

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 241m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After having been on Geallaig Hill in the morning, we decided to finish our wet and windy day with a trip up the nearby Meall Alvie. Having parked at Keiloch (£2.50 charge), we headed off up the path in Inver until we reached Felagie. I had a vague recollection of reading that there was a dyke which one follow up through the steep wooded hillside to the summit. However, there are TWO dykes and the one that we could see was the wrong one - the correct one has gone near the cottage but can be seen through the trees when one knows where to look. Anyway, we started off beside the wall but soon realised that we were heading in the wrong direction so we took to the hillside through some of the steepest heather and other vegetation that I've been on for some time - and it was very wet and slippery with many tree roots to slide on - I'm sure you get the picture.
P1030377.JPG
Struggling up through the steep wooded hillside
At least we were sheltered from the wind and we were having a laugh. Soon we came across the correct dyke and we followed it as we should have from the start. The going was still quite rough and steep but a lot easier than before.
P1030381.JPG
The dyke (correct one) through the woods
Soon we reached the summit area and had a wander around all the highest points - just to make sure! Then we sat down with our backs against the wall for shelter. There weren't many views to be had, though, because of the forestation.
P1030384.JPG
View from summit
We followed wall back down and were off the hill in 25 minutes from the summit. Obviously, a lot easier up than down.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: After Geallaig Hill ..... Meall Alvie - just to end the

Postby RocksRock » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:26 am

Ah yes......Meall Alvie by the diretissima! been there, tried that!

There is an alternative which is less athletic but still gets there. About 200m before Felagie there is a sunken "track" which leaves the main track and goes generally ENE - shows as path on 1:25000 on here. Follow it to about 400m and then turn NE aiming for the little bealach before final climb. On reaching the wall (the one going directly uphill), turn right rejoining the standard route - it cuts out the lower, steepest part opf the usual route and might well be pleasanter in dreich conditions!

When I was there 2 - 3 years ago there was a lot of lightweight plastic fencing type material rolled out across the slope - has it gone or are there fences erected?
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby rob munbett » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:33 pm

We did see a lot of plastic mesh attached to tree trunks - like a continuous net / mesh fence. We did wonder what it was for - almost like a bird trap of some sort. It went from ground level (I think) to about 2 metres in height - and for some distance along the wall - the wrong one!
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Postby RocksRock » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:22 pm

I couldn't work out what it was for, but was thinking it might get hidden in the undergrowth and trip someone, or that any fence might be too high to negotiate....
RocksRock

Postby RocksRock » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:35 am

RocksRock wrote:Ah yes......Meall Alvie by the diretissima! been there, tried that!

There is an alternative which is less athletic but still gets there. About 200m before Felagie there is a sunken "track" which leaves the main track and goes generally ENE - shows as path on 1:25000 on here. Follow it to about 400m and then turn NE aiming for the little bealach before final climb. On reaching the wall (the one going directly uphill), turn right rejoining the standard route - it cuts out the lower, steepest part opf the usual route and might well be pleasanter in dreich conditions!

When I was there 2 - 3 years ago there was a lot of lightweight plastic fencing type material rolled out across the slope - has it gone or are there fences erected?

Sorry, the unacustomed hot weather has adled my brain: should have said: "goes generally ESE"
RocksRock

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland