walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long walk - but worth it - Cnap Chaochan Aitinn

A long walk - but worth it - Cnap Chaochan Aitinn

Postby rob munbett » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Cnap Chaochan Aitinn

Date walked: 18/07/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 723m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove round from Braemar to Tomintoul and things were not looking too hopeful weather-wise. However, I parked at the viewpoint carpark to the the south of the village and set off down the road on the east side of the River Avon. What concerned me was the amount of downhill at the start - that meant a lot of uphill at the end of the day. Anyway, the good surface made for quick walking down to the bridge over to Wester Gaulrig.
P1030402.JPG
The bridge to Wester Gaulrig over the Avon
Once past this house, I could see my hill in the distance but I knew there was a good estate track to follow all the way.
P1030400.JPG
The hill in the distance from Wester Gaulrig
There was a fair wind blowing and I was walking right into it but at least the rain was holding off and the clouds were high enough for a view.
P1030387.JPG
Getting closer!
I plodded on up the track until I was west of the summit. I was about to take to the heathery hillside but I spotted a stony track heading straight for the summit, obviously there to allow easy access to all the weather paraphernalia at the top. I didn't even have to get my boots dirty!
P1030389.JPG
The summit cairn
The views to the south, over Ben Avon and Beinn a Bhuird were great but the weather was beginning deteriorate so it was not a place to linger.
Cnap Chaochan Aitinn Pan.JPG
The view over Ben Avon and Beinn a Bhuird
P1030398.JPG
The route out
It was along walk out and there was a fair amount of uphill on the road but it really wasn't too bad and I didn't have far to drive to Tomintoul hostel which was my base for the night.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Grahams:68   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:90   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland