walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorms: great day in gale via Loch Avon, really summer ?

Cairngorms: great day in gale via Loch Avon, really summer ?

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:21 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 16/07/2016

Time taken: 10.42 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 1779m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

zzz -RK_gpx _2016-07-16_0407.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a few solo walks another trip together with my friend and work mate Mark as we both had the same day off work. Very strong wind and gales forecast, rain in the West...we decided for Cairngorms, there was dry forecast at least for morning and rain later afternoon, but strong wind all the day. :roll:
I knew that Mark really wanted Ben Macdui since he started walking hills - it was very high on his to-do list so I prepared route for Ben Macdui and Beinn Mheadhoin, then we also added Cairn Gorm again on the walk back :D
I did Ben Macdui ( with The Devil's Point, Cairn Toul, Sgor an Lochain Uaine and Braeriach ) and also Cairn Gorm two years ago and Mark had done Cairn Gorm already.
I tried got to bed at least for two hours on friday - the day before our trip, worked since early morning...prepared my outdoor stuff and checked the forecast again. Alarm set for 23:45.
We met at 01:00 and left towards North at 01:15 - shortly after midnight :D I enjoyed my porridge on the way, shortly before arriving in Cairngorms. It was just 04:00 when we arrived in the big car park at Ski Centre. £2 donation paid for parking, nearly daylight and cold strong wind welcomed us there :lol:
We started our walk at 04:07, it was 2nd time this year I have used my insulated jacket and the 1st time from the beginning ! :o :shock: The jacket was in my rucksack always before...just in case...on my all winter walks / climbs,,,now used in July ! :shock: :lol: :shock:
Strongest wind - gale on the summit of Ben Macdui, but basically in the wind all the walk.
It was a great day in the cairngorm's wilderness, beautiful area especially around Loch Etchachan and Loch Avon, sometimes misty and also snow on some ( many ) places, but mostly good visibility 8) ...and still the wind :lol:
We connected three Munros on our route ( pity no more time to add also Carn a'Mhaim as Mark needed be back home earlier, but we managed at least some shots of Carn a' Mhaim ), counted just one new for me and two repeated, but who cares when the walk was really enjoyable and I always prefer adventure feelings and enjoyment rather than just numbers :wink: Also happy to help Mark with his dream finally - Ben Macdui :D

Photo story below:

...and some Mark's photos:

DSC03416a.jpg

DSC03458a.jpg

DSC03458b.jpg

DSC03497a.jpg
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Cairngorms: great day in gale via Loch Avon, really summ

Postby PerthAlly » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:12 am

Wowsers Petr :shock:

That's a good day out. Lots of miles!

Managed 21 munros earlier this season but nothing since early June due to work/weather/family/apathy/golf :lol:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:13 pm

PerthAlly wrote:Wowsers Petr :shock:

That's a good day out. Lots of miles!

Managed 21 munros earlier this season but nothing since early June due to work/weather/family/apathy/golf :lol:

Thanks Ally, you are keeping yourself busy :D but always for the good reason :D :thumbup:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:08 pm

One more from the road - A9:

Cairngorms from A9.jpg
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:57 pm

Very nice report Petr you look cold in some pic and this is summer :lol: :lol:
at least it was dry
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Nice one, Petr. These are hills I have yet to sample, though I've planned out a few routes...

Not sure what you mean by wind, though. I can't see any wind at all in the pictures.

Interesting to see this "summer day", compared to 2 days before - when it was absolutely brilliant. Funny summer...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:29 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Very nice report Petr you look cold in some pic and this is summer :lol: :lol:
at least it was dry

Thank you :D some summer days are colder than some winter days and sometimes you can walk in T-shirt in a good - decent winter day :lol:
It was dry most of the walk time, but drizzle on the end around Cairn Gorm - waterproof jacket on :roll: , but the forecast said it will be light showers or rain later afternoon...
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:41 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Nice one, Petr. These are hills I have yet to sample, though I've planned out a few routes...

Not sure what you mean by wind, though. I can't see any wind at all in the pictures.

Interesting to see this "summer day", compared to 2 days before - when it was absolutely brilliant. Funny summer...

Thank you :D variety routes options there :D
Yes funny summer with quick changes :roll: :? :shock: I did not see the wind too, :lol: but I really felt the wind...blowing my hood and jacket - like the "Michelin figure" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is what Mark said in his weather site report:
"While on top of Ben Macdui, winds were gusting 92 mph on nearby Cairngorm!"

http://www.markvoganweather.com/2016/07 ... rn-gorm-6/

see the video there :lol: :wink: :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby martin.h » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Great title Petr, is this summer ever going to get going? nearly August and we're still waiting.
Great pics as usual, we must get into the Cairngorms, I feel we're missing something :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:38 am

martin.h wrote:Great title Petr, is this summer ever going to get going? nearly August and we're still waiting.
Great pics as usual, we must get into the Cairngorms, I feel we're missing something :lol:

Thank you Martin :D Great area to explore, I am sure you will enjoy it there 8) but better if you get a day without the wind :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland