walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Tulaichan and a section completed

Glas Tulaichan and a section completed

Postby mrssanta » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Munros included on this walk: Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 19/07/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 650m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back in October 2014 Rudolph, CWH and I made an expedition to climb the Glenshee munros and camp at Loch nan Eun. As it turned out there was stalking on Glas Tulaichan and we were asked not to go there, This was now the last remaining Munro in the SMC section 6 from the A9 to the A93. We felt nicely recovered from our Mullardoch adventures http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64899 and the forecast was for hot weather with thunderstorms later. So with a spring in our step we spent the last day of our holiday climbing this straightforward Munro. We parked at the Dalmunzie hotel and paid our £2.50 at the hotel reception.

glas tulaichan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As the WH route states, it has the indignity of a track almost to the summit and we followed this route, which climbs with a nice easy gradient all the way. Having a choice of route we went up via the track and down via the railway line. It's always good to have a circular walk.
P7190837.jpg
setting off up the track from the hotel

P7190838.jpg
Looking up Gleann Taitneach

P7190839.jpg
Foxgloves by the path

P7190840.jpg
two large landslips visible on the slopes of Ben Gulabin

P7190841.jpg
Fording place of the Glenlochsie burn

P7190851.jpg
lovely bank of wild flowers near Glenlochsie Lodge

P7190854.jpg
Glenlochsie Lodge is falling down quickly. I wouldn't shelter here even in an emergency!

P7190855.jpg
ooh is the rain coming early? no it isn't

P7190856.jpg
Gentle gradient

P7190858.jpg
Beinn a'Ghlo with its three summits

It was a busy summit where we chatted to two gentlemen who were doing a circuit from Glen Ey including Carn Bhac, Beinn Iuthairn Mor, Carn an Righ and An Socach. We also chatted to a family of mum dad and two boys who were going to Carn an Righ next. We sat in the sun on the top and enjoyed a brew and a leisurely lunch before descending on lovely alpine turf down the ridge to the east of the one we had come up.
P7190860.jpg
East towards Lochnagar (I think)

P7190861.jpg
Me on the top. Lairig Ghru behind and to the left

P7190867.jpg
Loch nan Eun where we camped 2y ago

P7190869.jpg
I'm glad we are walking on the lovely alpine turf and not the horrid peat hags!

P7190873.jpg
Cloudberries growing on a mossy hummock

P7190874.jpg
Heather will be out soon

We stopped by the burn for a rest and trying to delay the end of our holiday and thought about our adventures.
P7190879.jpg
a forest of miniature trees by the burn

It was a bit steep and rough at the bottom before we found the railway track but that just made it more interesting.
P7190884.jpg
Gloenlochsie Lodge again looking all forlorn

P7190887.jpg
Looking back up the railway track, which is still marked as a railway on my Landranger map which I bought in 1983

P7190892.jpg
a lovely bank of bell heather as we approach the farm and hotel again

So that's our holiday for the time being. We aren't sure when we will be back but watch this space!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland