walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A great weekend inGlenfinnan 1

A great weekend inGlenfinnan 1

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:35 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgòrr Craobh a' Chaorainn, Sgùrr Ghiubhsachain

Date walked: 07/08/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A GREAT WEEKEND IN GLENFINNAN 1

Just before you get to Glenfinnan on the A830 the road goes under a railway bridge. About 300m after this there is a turning on the left – not signposted, easy to miss – that leads over a bridge to a small car park. We turned right out of the car park and along a forest road towards Loch Shiel. After just over 2km the track swings round to the left and follows the loch side: another path leads towards to Glenfinnan.
IMG_2212.JPG
Looking towards Glenfinnan
All of a sudden Katie’s face lit up :D : she had spotted the rocky ridge of Meall a Choire Chruinn.
IMG_2216.JPG
Meall a' Choire Chruinn
In her haste to get to the bottom of the ridge she launched off into a bog – stupid-like I followed :crazy: . Eventually we decided to return to the road and crossed the Allt Coire Ghuibhsachain by the bridge that is clearly marked on the map :roll: . The rocky crags higher up provided some entertaining scrambling :clap: but could be avoided on the right – but why would you want to do that?
14.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG
enjoying some scrambling
IMG_2221.JPG
Loch Shiel
The scrambling opportunities continued almost to the summit of Sgurr Ghuibhsachain.
IMG_2229.JPG
she wouldn't wave to me!
We sat at the cairn for a while picking out hills for future expeditions – there are an awful lot of Corbetts in this area – before going down steep rocky slopes and along past a lochan to Sgorr Craobh a’ Chaorainn.
IMG_2230.JPG
Glen Cona
IMG_2232.JPG
Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn
Katie took the direct approached and scrambled up some slabs to the summit and I went round to the left where another short scramble led to grassy slopes and the summit cairn. From there we dropped down N along the ridge to Sgorr nan Cearc, contouring round Meall Doire na Mnatha. Then headed for the buildings at Callop, a very boggy descent and quite hard going. :cry: Try to find an alternative! Such as going over Meall na Cuartaige.
Once we got to the track a short walk saw us back at the car park. We sat in the sun reading the paper for an hour :thumbup: or so before putting up the tent on a nice patch of grass near the river.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: A great weekend inGlenfinnan 1

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:52 am

Good to see a report on these hills. Looks like you had a good day on them. I remember doing Sgurr Ghuibhsachain with my dad and sister when I was about 15 - they avoided the scrambly bits, while I managed to get stuck on a slab somewhere! Seem to remember there was a very prominent vertical finger of rock nearby.

For some reason we missed out Sgorr Craobh a’ Chaorainn, descending the glen to the east instead. Something I will never forgive my dad for!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: A great weekend inGlenfinnan 1

Postby magicdin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:50 pm

That ridge looks a great way up. :thumbup:
When I did these hills they were felling trees so I could'nt walk around the corner.
Ended up walking up past Callop and up the Meall na Cuartaige ridge.
Two nice hills mind you.
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland