walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A great weekend in Glenfinnan 2

A great weekend in Glenfinnan 2

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 am

Route description: Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachan

Munros included on this walk: Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgurr Thuilm

Date walked: 08/08/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A GREAT WEEKEND IN GLENFINNAN 2

After a rather midgey breakfast we drove the short distance to the small car park on the road that leads down under the Glenfinnan viaduct. Even at 8am this was quite full – of camper vans. This brought out the grumpy old woman in me. :evil: If people want to use car parks as camp sites the least they can do is get up early and leave some spaces for people who just want to park! Having got that off my chest we set off down the road, under the impressive viaduct
35.JPG
Under the viaduct
and on to Corryhully. We were undecided about whether to branch off up the Allt a’Chaoll-ghlinne and go over Sgurr an Fhuaran Duibh but as soon as I saw it I made up my mind. It looks incredibly steep. :o So we walked past the bothy
IMG_2246.JPG
Nearly!
and round to start of the path (marked by a cairn and a cross-like signpost) up to Sgurr a’Choire Riabhaich.
42 Starting up Sgurr nan Coirreachan.JPG
(Does anybody else find typing these names a bit of a trial?).
IMG_2248.JPG
Glen Finnan
There is a good path all the way although it is very steep in places.
IMG_2249.JPG
Sgurr a'Choire Riabhaich
We then dropped down before enjoying a bit of easy scrambling through the rocks that lead to the summit of Sgurr nan Coireachan. Here we were rewarded with amazing views of Loch Morar,
IMG_2251.JPG
Loch Morar
across towards Glen Dessarry and down to Loch Arkaig.
IMG_2253.JPG
Loch Arkaig
The rocky ridge to Sgurr Thuilm
IMG_2250.JPG
The ridge to Sgurr Thuilm
seemed very long with a lot of ups and downs and some deer
53.JPG
Deer on the ridge
and at one point we felt we were not making much progress. :? But the effort was more than compensated for by the views.
IMG_2256.JPG
Looking back along the ridge
From the cairn on Sgurr Thuilm we looked across to Streap and Gulvain and planned how we would spend the next decent weekend and I reminisced about camping near Strathan when I did the Cape Wrath Trail. Then we were off down Druim Coire a’Bheithe to rejoin the track to Corryhully and the car park.

A short while later we were enjoying a cup of tea on the wooden terrace of the tea rooms in the old railway coach at Glenfinnan Station. We could see the ridge of Meall a’Chiore Chruinn where we had scrambled the previous day. ‘If people had sat here yesterday with telescopes it would be just like watching climbers on the North Wall of the Eiger’ I mused. ‘With a few subtle differences’ suggested Katie. :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:7

Re: A great weekend in Glenfinnan 2

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Nice couple of reports. After some nice cake in the visitor centre we took a short wander under the viaduct and on to the bridge just before the lodge - the hills look fantastic in this glen - good for a wee scramble as you've shown. I must hatch a plan to visit here and get up the hills this time.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby monty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:05 pm

Nice report and some lovely pictures of a beautiful area. You can just about see my camp site of a couple of years ago when I paddled Loch Morar. :D
monty

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Good set of reports bootsandpaddles with some nice pics :) i like the 2nd one in this report
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:43 pm

monty wrote:Nice report and some lovely pictures of a beautiful area. You can just about see my camp site of a couple of years ago when I paddled Loch Morar. :D

I would love to go to Loch Morar. It looks beautiful.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:7

Postby murphy999 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:28 pm

Beautiful pictures there, I love Glenfinnan, something about that place.
murphy999
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:3
Grahams:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland