walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corryhabbie Hill - Found It This Time

Corryhabbie Hill - Found It This Time

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:21 pm

Route description: Corryhabbie Hill, Glen Rinnes

Corbetts included on this walk: Corryhabbie Hill

Date walked: 22/07/2016

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 522m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Three weeks ago, I drove up to this part of the country to do three hills and this was due to be the first of the day, I hadn't taken my usual maps and was just working off my WH notes. I searched for Ellivreid Farm, driving slowly up and down the glen road but I just couldn't find it so parked up in the area in the picture below to try and figure out where I was going wrong. In the end, I gave up and headed for my 2nd hill.

2.jpg

Today, I was taking no chance and read other reports and was armed with all my maps. So with all the additional info I was able to find the correct parking area quickly as can be seen below.

2.jpg

Yip, 3 weeks ago I spent ten minutes out of the car looking around me from the exact spot I should have been parked in :oops:

Anyway, this is one of those walks where another hill dominates the views, in this case Ben Rinnes is very close by.

1.jpg
Ben Rinnes from the parking area

It's around 100 yards from the parking area along the dead end road to the gate opposite Ellivreid Farm.

3.jpg
Looking up the road towards the farm

Once in the field I could see a large herd of cattle over to my right but most were lying down and completely uninterested in me so I was able to keep to the track and get through the field quickly.

4.jpg
Heading for a gate just to the left of these trees

5.jpg
Looking back down the field

6.jpg
Track beside the trees

Once through the field of cattle I kept to the left of some fir trees before going through another gate and a second field this time with sheep in it.

Using the WH notes I followed the track through the second field then took the right fork. My notes suggested the grassy track would peter out but I was able to stay on it all the way to the fence where I could se the higher post that I was aiming for. Close to the high post there are some stones close to the fence and a cover over the barb wire making it easy to cross over on to the open hillside.

7.jpg
Following the grassy track

8.jpg
Fence crossing

Once over the fence it was pretty much choose a route and just head on through the heather. The ground was wet without being boggy so no great hardship as I climbed fairly gently on to the wide top that headed directly towards the obvious steep part of the climb. This is where there are a few hidden holes well disguised by the heather and if concentration slips, this can happen.

9.jpg

By now, the sunny start to the day had given way to rain and with the wind picking up on the higher ground it felt quite hard going trudging through the heather and I was pleased to get to the tougher part of the climb as I could now see exactly where I was putting my feet.

The steep section was quite short and the final climb was now in sight.

10.jpg
The final climb

11.jpg
Small area of hags easily avoided

Crossing a very small group of peat hags and negotiating an easy little climb on a track there was a final short walk to reach the summit.

12.jpg
The summit

13.jpg
Surprised to see this at 781m

Rod - if you read this, your 1hr 15 mins is safe as I came in at 1:22. I put this down to finishing the Cleveland Way in mid June and since then being on a diet of lager, wine and raspberry magnums!!!

I spent longer than normal at the summit, the rain had stopped and I was hoping the views might improve but there was just too much cloud cover so eventually headed off.

14.jpg

16.jpg
Ben Rinnes and the Convals

On the way down and overlooking the grassy heathery wet section I could see a path over to the right. I made for it and followed it back to the point where wooden posts cut across the hill - life would have been easier if I had found it on the way up.

Everything went well till I got to the last field with the cattle. With the exception of half a dozen they had all crossed the field and were to my right but closer to the track than this morning. I chose just to keep a little bit of distance between us so left the track and headed a little bit to my left. Watching the cows I could see one of the bigger ones at the front watching me then he started heading towards me and the others all followed. Before I knew it they had all broken in to a trot and were heading straight for me. It's a bit nervy when this happens but most of the time it is just curiosity and luckily that was the case today and they all pulled up when they got within about 30 yards of me. I turned round for a quick picture and walked the last 50 yards to the gate and the road back to the car.

18.jpg
All calm again
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Corryhabbie Hill - Found It This Time

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi Gordie, yep I'm reading this and your summit time noted. Glad I picked a day without any cows in the field, mind you had there been cows I might have broken the hour :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:46 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Gordie, yep I'm reading this and your summit time noted. Glad I picked a day without any cows in the field, mind you had there been cows I might have broken the hour :lol: :lol:

You may well have gone for a sprint finish and hurdled the gate back on to the road Rod :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Gordie, yep I'm reading this and your summit time noted. Glad I picked a day without any cows in the field, mind you had there been cows I might have broken the hour :lol: :lol:

You may well have gone for a sprint finish and hurdled the gate back on to the road Rod :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Glad you found it this time :wink: I just asked the farmer at Ellivreid farm and he let me park to the side of his drive although your spot doesn't look to be to far away. Quick time - took me a wee bit longer although in my defence I did the loop and went back via Morton's Way - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:03 pm

rockhopper wrote:Glad you found it this time :wink: I just asked the farmer at Ellivreid farm and he let me park to the side of his drive although your spot doesn't look to be to far away. Quick time - took me a wee bit longer although in my defence I did the loop and went back via Morton's Way - cheers :)

Hi RH - I had a look at your route but stuck with the direct (ish) up and down as I was heading off to do another hill afterwards.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:48 am

Phew, glad you made it this time..... sounds touch and go with those cows! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:42 am

dogplodder wrote:Phew, glad you made it this time..... sounds touch and go with those cows! :lol:

Hi dogplodder

It's not the first time I've failed to find a starting point for a hill and the other occasion was in the same part of the country. I seem to have a Moray/Aberdeenshire navigational shortfall :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland