walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

You Shall Not Pass (& the small matter of a 100th)

You Shall Not Pass (& the small matter of a 100th)

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Route description: Glen Strathfarrar Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgùrr a' Choire Ghlais, Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill, Sgùrr na Ruaidhe

Date walked: 23/07/2016

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 18.25 km

Ascent: 1540m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Said Gandalf to Balrog, which is pretty much the gateway to Glen Strathfarrar. Myself to Davie Main both turned up far too early, completely misjudging the time from our respective homes. (although in my defence I have various amounts of roadworks to contend with)

Bang on 9 we were allowed in and headed down the pothole ridden track, we had thought about doing the route clockwise and leaving the bog to the end but driving down we over shot the end point if we were doing the route anticlockwise so we turned round dropped one car off and back back to the start point to do the route anticlockwise.

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (1 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (2 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Initially the track is pretty good but after about a half mile it turns into a bit of a quagmire. Heading up Carn nan Gobhar & Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais come into view with the latter looking a bit steep :lol:

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (3 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Before long the path swings around to the right and you start the ascent up to the 1st target of the day Sgurr na Ruaidhe, the bog still continuing, I don't know if it's being off the hills for 3 weeks, long shifts at work sat at a desk, lack of sleep or a combination but I was really struggling getting moving up, so shouted at Dave that I'd see him on the summit.

With me taking my time it allowed to have a good look around

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (6 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Thankfully as the gradient eases the path does start to dry out and progress was a bit quicker and met up with Dave approaching the summit.

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (10 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

We took a few photos and were on our way seeing as we were on a time limit.

The walk over to No2 Carn nan Gobhar looks easy enough but lower down it's a wee bit steeper than it looks but we made not bad progress and were on the summit in about 45mins

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (11 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (13 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (15 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (16 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Not much hanging about again and pushed on towards No3 it looked steep and proved to be so, it was pretty much a head down and put one foot in front of the other till we hit the boulder field, skirted around to the north and found a far easier way up :D regrouping on the summit.

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (18 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (19 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (20 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (21 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

After a bit of a feed and a longer rest as we were ahead of our own imposed schedule we pushed on towards the final summit and Davies 100th

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (22 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

looking back we had timed it perfectly as Sgurr a Choire Ghlais was under a spot of clag

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (24 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Not long after leaving we were on the 4th and final summit (& Davie's 100th)

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (25 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (27 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStrathfarrar 4 (29 of 29) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

After enjoying the views and a leisurely break as we'd been quicker than we had to, all that was left the walk out. The stalkers path was great and the water features fantastic but to many rain drops on my lenses meant the photo's didn't really come out.

Sgurr na Muice looks like it would be a great walk in its own right whether a scramble or a stroll.

Once at the bottom it was just a case of pile into Dave's car and head back to mine
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: You Shall Not Pass (& the small matter of a 100th)

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:16 pm

oh that did look great, and well done to Davie on his ton.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: You Shall Not Pass (& the small matter of a 100th)

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Great photo's and well done on the 100! Can i ask what the distance was back to the car from the walk out (if i only had one car)?
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland