walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn A'Mhaizing

Carn A'Mhaizing

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:36 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 23/07/2016

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 690m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are few finer sights in Scotland than the famous Lairig Ghru and the mountains that surround it, except for maybe the Lairig Ghru on a day when the sun shone against all predictions! For the second trip in succession the weatherman's warnings failed to come to fruition. A small token of revenge for all those drenchings received on the hills.
We arrived at Linn O'Dee at 8am and found one of the last remaining spots in the car park, directly under a pine tree. Midgie heaven. So very quickly we suited and booted and headed up the path into Glen Lui, making for Derry Lodge.

Glen Lui Path.jpg

Derry Lodge.jpg

Swinging a right just after the lodge, we crossed the new bridge built over the Derry Burn, making an immediate left turn and heading further up Glen Lui.

New Bridge.jpg

Beside Derry Burn.jpg

After brief boggy section the excellent path heads straight up beautiful Glen Luibeg, with Carn A'Mhaim coming into view before the Luibeg Burn has to be forded. (There is a bridge further up the glen if you need it.)

Crags.jpg

Luibeg.jpg

target in view.jpg

We stopped for first lunch at one of those convenient flat rocks that mother nature so thoughtfully provides for parking your backside on for a bite to eat. Fuelled up and ready to roll we began the assault up the only steep section of the day, rising from around 550m to 950m in jig time. The rewards for the slog are tremendous, at first its the views back down Glen Luibeg that capture your attention then as height is gained, Beinn Bhrotain, Monadh Mor and Derry Cairngorm all come into view.

Finally the good track reaches a flatter section, just underneath the rocky crags that protect the second, lower summit of Carn A'Mhaim. This top is bypassed to the left on bouldery ground, bringing in fantastic views of the The Devils Point, Gleann Geusachean and as we looked up Lairig Ghru/Glen Dee the cloud began clearing the tops of Cairn Toull and Braeriach.

View Back.jpg

Flatter Bit.jpg

BBMMDP.jpg

Clearing.jpg

From here the true summit is short, easy walk along the ridge and is guarded by one or two little tors.

tors.jpg

As we sat down for a drink of juice and a second bit to eat, the wispy cloud lifted from every summit. So many of the famous Cairngorm peaks clearing. Ben Macdui, Braeriach, Cairn Toull, Derry Cairngorm, The Devil's Point even Beinn Mheadhoin and it's proper, full sized, tors were visible. The vista was stunning, my limited photography skills on an iPhone, not really doing it justice.

GeoBraeriach.jpg

Biggies.jpg

GGDP.jpg

east.jpg

We then wandered over to the lower top and still the views held, from here it is much easier to see one of the few narrow ridges in The Gorms between Carn A'Mhaim and mighty Ben Macdui.

secondary top view.jpg

After nearly an hour spent at each of the summits, enjoying the warmth and stupendous views. Views that made you feel tiny and insignificant. We retraced our steps, all the way back up past the lodge and back to the Linn O'Dee car park having enjoyed a much, much better day than expected. Here's hoping my luck holds!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Re: Carn A'Mhaizing

Postby kojak » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Excellent report Bryan, thanks for taking them time to right it.. Brilliant day out!!
kojak
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:27
Fionas:6   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:27   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:07 pm

Another fine TR mate
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby OpenC » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:59 pm

I was there yesterday as well (Newcastle shirt, black and white cocker spaniel). I wasn't so lucky with the weather, though, and saw pretty much nothing of the stuff on the other side of the Lairig Ghru; serves me right for getting going so early, I guess :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 pm

OpenC wrote:I was there yesterday as well (Newcastle shirt, black and white cocker spaniel). I wasn't so lucky with the weather, though, and saw pretty much nothing of the stuff on the other side of the Lairig Ghru; serves me right for getting going so early, I guess :)

Aaahh, I spoke to you on your way down. I was part of the group of three that were lunching as you passed. I asked you if it was yourself that had camped at the bottom of the hill.
Hope you still enjoyed your walk.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby OpenC » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:51 pm

Aye, I thought that might have been you lot. Had a great day anyway, a little explore up Glen Derry on the way back to scope out my next trip. Will only have to do that long, long walk all the way past Luibeg once more for Devil's Point :)

Obviously the weather improved literally an hour after I started my descent, typical. Did look like it was going to, though :) I tried to get a picture of the three of you silhouetted against the ridge as you started to climb again but I lost you as the path carried you left to behind the skyline, missed you by a second or two.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland