walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A walk in the clouds

A walk in the clouds

Postby Manders91 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 08/09/2015

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 926m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This report is unbelievably late but anyway I thought I'd share our rather long day!

We set off around 9.30am and instead of taking the forest trail we opted for the direct route straight up through the forest instead of the winding path. It's a bit more difficult but having done both options now I would rather take this route than go up the winding path which is like a small piece of torture.

Anyway once we were out of the forest we opted to join up with the well-trodden path from the dam onwards. This is a decent walk out past the Narnain boulders where we grabbed a spot of breakfast before heading onwards towards Ben Narnain itself.

The weather was really cloudy the further we got up with only small breaks in cloud cover allowing for some real visibility. It was a real shame to get to the top and not be able to see the cairn at first let alone any kind of views! So lunch was had beside the wee makeshift wall next to the cairn before some photos with the cairn and beginning the descent down.

Narnain Cairn.jpg
An idea of our lovely view

Thankfully, the clouds began to lift which made for an easier descent off the hill for the most part as we could properly follow the path without the need to consult the map every 10 minutes or so.

Unfortunately one of my friends knee had seized up whilst at the top so it took us much longer to get off than it normally would as she couldn't bend her knee almost at all. She done fantastically well to manage to get back down without a piggy back and back down the windy forest path.
I think we got back to the carpark around 7pm!

Despite the lack of views, I really enjoyed this one so I would definitely recommend it!

Narnain.jpg
Eventually the cloud began to lift! :)
Manders91
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland