walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis via CMD again - guiding the Youth

Ben Nevis via CMD again - guiding the Youth

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:22 am

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 28/07/2016

Time taken: 10.01 hours

Distance: 18.88 km

Ascent: 1667m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

RK_gpx _2016-07-28_0605.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was end of August 2010 when my son Patrik climbed Ben Nevis with me for the 1st time...
He was 12 years old in 2010 and I remember that he was always asking "where is the summit ?" when we reached some top - horizon point and there was another ascent...and another...and another... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Patrik and Ben Nevis 2010:

Yes, he was struggling a little bit :lol: , but then another years, always when he came to visit me during the school summer holiday from The Czech Republic, he always enjoyed the walk up and he always wanted to climb the Ben when he was in Scotland...so it became a tradition to climb Ben Nevis with him almost every Year :D

Patrik and Ben Nevis 2011:
200820111434.jpg

200820111447.jpg

Patrik and Ben Nevis 2013:
20130728_082058.jpg

20130728_091302.jpg

This time he is an adult - aged 18 and he came visit me together with his girlfriend Alice :D
Before they came, he still kept asking me if we can climb Ben Nevis again - also with her and he was interested to try the more adventurous route via CMD arete as he saw some of my photos from my previous trips there and he really wanted the views of Ben Nevis from the nicer - rocky side :D :D :D
Well, the day came and by the weather forecast I chose Thursday as the best possible day for it :wink:

Alarm set for 02:00 am, we started our journey shortly after 03:00 am from home. Stoped many times for some morning's shots on the way ( Rannoch Moor...Glencoe...), we arrived to the Ben Nevis Inn car park just before 06:00 am and then started or walk at 06:05 am. :D
They looked full of expectations.......
it was the 4th time Ben Nevis for Patrik ( 1st via CMD ), 1st time for Alice and 17th time for me ( 3rd time via CMD ).

Ben Nevis Inn car park early morning

Warming up ! :D

Glen Nevis, Sgurr a'Mhaim and Stob Ban

Stronger wind started behind this corner...as usual :roll:

Jackets on ! :roll: :lol:

Turned from the usual tourist path...towards North Face

The view open for us...the path down...then over the stream and steepy up - to Carn Mor Dearg

Castle Ridge

the CMD arete ahead

Crossing the water

Mountain Rescue CIC Hut

Local resident :D

Tower Ridge and The North East Buttress

Coire na Ciste

On the hard way up :lol: :D :roll: :lol:

The CMD arete from the slope of CMD

They are somewhere there, climbing up...

Yes, they are ! Checked by ZOOM :D

...a wee ZOOM again :lol:

Closer to the summit of CMD

Towards North, there is the usual ( and more gentle ) way if you chose the North Face car park...we climbed the steepy slope on the left as we wanted to finish at Glen Nevis side :D

Patrik and Alice ZOOMed climbing up...

...nearly there...

...and resting on the summit of Carn Mor Dearg :D

Towards the misty ridge

...and towards North

Ben Nevis behind still in the mist :roll:

Self timer :lol: :lol: :lol:

The view clearer now :D

Nice to see them happy :D

1st Munro done and time to continue...Ben Nevis via the CMD ... :wink:

The CMD arete 8)

Looking back down - the pathless & very steepy way we came from :shock: :lol:

Descending Carn Mor Dearg

Ben Nevis clearer...a little bit :D

On the ridge

Aonach Beag on the East

The view towards Mamores mountains

Ben Nevis almost clear :D

The valley we came from

Enjoying the ridge views 8) :D

Me on the ridge, Ben Nevis in the background

Looking back towards CMD over the arete...

...and over the Glen

Mamores

The end of the ridge and the Cairn - post

The ridge, Carn Mor Deag and Aonach Mor & Aonach Beag behind

CMD again

Ascending Ben Nevis

Red roses delivered - in memorial...I will never forget !

Ben Nevis summit looks busy

Me with Patrik on the summit :D

Patrik and Alice on the summit :D

Busy place in this time of Year :lol: :D :lol:

Clear view and the crowds going up :shock: :lol: really different from the quiet CMD arete route :lol:

Towards Castle Ridge

Raven enjoying the views :D 8) :D

Patrik & Alice enjoying themselves :lol:

...and myself enjoying Ben Nevis :D

Towards Fort William

The endless zig-zag tourist path and the crowds up and down...

Corner view towards Mamores

Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean over Glen Nevis

Meall an t-Suidhe and Lochan Meall nan t-Suidhe

The halfway waterfall

On the path down

Patrik's gesture says everything...they enjoyed ! :D :D :D

Patrik made some nice panorama shots:

Last edited by Petr Dakota on Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Ben Nevis via CMD again - guiding the Youth

Postby Andrea Rosslyn » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Excellent! Well done all of you! :clap: Such a good weather especially for CMD ridge walk with some beautiful views around. I am sure that you had good feeling on end of day. I hope, the weather stay good there for next weekend as I want to do Ben Nevis via CMD as well. :wink:
Andrea Rosslyn
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi Petr - that looked fun, some great shots of your day.

17th time on top of the Ben, that beats my 15 times on Carn ant Sagairt Mor :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby jamesb63 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Brilliant report Petr and some really great photos to go with it it great the young ones enjoyed their day. And as for yourself 17 times wow. Well done
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby RiverSong » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:57 pm

I always enjoy your reports and photos, but this one is outstanding, what a fantastic day out :clap:

I hope to climb Ben Nevis one day, and your excellent photos give me a good idea of what to expect on the Mountain Track, so thanks for that. I certainly wont be going up via CMD, well done to Alice for doing it that way.

Look forward to your next report, all the best till then. :D
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:39 am

Brilliant photos and report Petr. CMD is a great route I been on the ben many times also. I go up once a year.
Riversong don't be intimidated by the arête it is a longer day than the pony track but all the exposure can be avoided if you want to avoid it. I have seen kids, dogs and allsorts on it :D. In poor weather it's a different story though. :shock: Best saved for a great day.
Sunset tripper

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:17 pm

Another great report Petr, I always enjoy al your reports and photos, and what a memorable day to have with your son and his girlfriend. We like to go up Ben Nevis at least once a year but nowhere near your 17 ascents, we are thinking about doing the CMD arete this year as we have never been along it.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:01 pm

Great report Petr. It's lovely to see the love of the outdoors being passed on to the next generation.

Some great pics too, especially of the wonderful North Face.

Glad that the cloud cleared up, and Alice was able to see the Highlands at their best. You don't record any comment from her at the end of what was quite a big day - do you think she will want to continue walking in the mountains???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:56 am

Andrea Rosslyn wrote:Excellent! Well done all of you! :clap: Such a good weather especially for CMD ridge walk with some beautiful views around. I am sure that you had good feeling on end of day. I hope, the weather stay good there for next weekend as I want to do Ben Nevis via CMD as well. :wink:

Thank you :D Hope you will enjoy the route too and the weather will be gentle to you...with great views around 8)

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Petr - that looked fun, some great shots of your day.

17th time on top of the Ben, that beats my 15 times on Carn ant Sagairt Mor :lol:

Hi Gordie and thank you :D Yours 15 times on one mountain is great too...well done ! :clap: At least I can see I am not the only crazy one :lol:

jamesb63 wrote:Brilliant report Petr and some really great photos to go with it it great the young ones enjoyed their day. And as for yourself 17 times wow. Well done

Thank you James :D

RiverSong wrote:I always enjoy your reports and photos, but this one is outstanding, what a fantastic day out :clap:

I hope to climb Ben Nevis one day, and your excellent photos give me a good idea of what to expect on the Mountain Track, so thanks for that. I certainly wont be going up via CMD, well done to Alice for doing it that way.

Look forward to your next report, all the best till then. :D

Thank you very much :D glad you are enjoying :D I appreciate your kind words...Hope you will have a good clear day for your trip there and I am sure you will love the views around 8)

Sunset tripper wrote:Brilliant photos and report Petr. CMD is a great route I been on the ben many times also. I go up once a year.
Riversong don't be intimidated by the arête it is a longer day than the pony track but all the exposure can be avoided if you want to avoid it. I have seen kids, dogs and allsorts on it :D. In poor weather it's a different story though. :shock: Best saved for a great day.

Thank you :D

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Another great report Petr, I always enjoy al your reports and photos, and what a memorable day to have with your son and his girlfriend. We like to go up Ben Nevis at least once a year but nowhere near your 17 ascents, we are thinking about doing the CMD arete this year as we have never been along it.

Thank you :D ...kind words which I really appreciate...glad you are enjoying my reports & pics. I wish you the best possible day for your trip to B.N. via CMD, you will love the views from the arete ! 8)

Alteknacker wrote:Great report Petr. It's lovely to see the love of the outdoors being passed on to the next generation.

Some great pics too, especially of the wonderful North Face.

Glad that the cloud cleared up, and Alice was able to see the Highlands at their best. You don't record any comment from her at the end of what was quite a big day - do you think she will want to continue walking in the mountains???

Thank you and I agree...it's always nice to see the next generations enjoying the outdoors and keeping in our steps :D
I hope Alice enjoyed the day also as Patrik enjoyed very much.......a wee hill planned with my 4 years old Cheyenne today and some Munros tomorrow with Patrik & Alice again...before they go back to Czech... :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby RiverSong » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:41 am

Alteknacker wrote:don't be intimidated by the arête it is a longer day than the pony track but all the exposure can be avoided if you want to avoid it. I have seen kids, dogs and allsorts on it . In poor weather it's a different story though. Best saved for a great day.

Thanks for the comment but the arête is for experienced walkers/climbers, not for children, dogs or people like me, so I'll stick to the Mountain Track which is still a fair old walk by anyone's standards

]Hope you will have a good clear day for your trip there [/quote]
Thanks Peter, fingers crossed
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:52 am

RiverSong wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:don't be intimidated by the arête it is a longer day than the pony track but all the exposure can be avoided if you want to avoid it. I have seen kids, dogs and allsorts on it . In poor weather it's a different story though. Best saved for a great day.

Thanks for the comment but the arête is for experienced walkers/climbers, not for children, dogs or people like me, so I'll stick to the Mountain Track which is still a fair old walk by anyone's standards

]Hope you will have a good clear day for your trip there

Thanks Peter, fingers crossed[/quote]

Better to save for a really good weather and you will be rewarded by great views all directions from the summit. Also the conditions makes big difference and it makes it much harder in strong wind and poor visibility, so watching the forecast is really important in your case...I wish you the best possible day to chose...all the best and stay safe.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:57 am

What a fantastic day and an achievement to get the young folk safely along. I wouldn't be surprised to see you becoming a fully qualified mountain guide. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby RiverSong » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:17 pm

RiverSong wrote:Better to save for a really good weather and you will be rewarded by great views all directions from the summit. Also the conditions makes big difference and it makes it much harder in strong wind and poor visibility, so watching the forecast is really important in your case...I wish you the best possible day to chose...all the best and stay safe.

Really appreciate your advice Petr, thanks again, I will be careful :D
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:19 pm

dogplodder wrote:What a fantastic day and an achievement to get the young folk safely along. I wouldn't be surprised to see you becoming a fully qualified mountain guide. :wink:

Thank you :D One day I will be happy when they will get me safely anywhere :D :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby martin.h » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:51 am

Hi Petr, you'll know the Ben like the back of your hand by now :lol:
Its good to get family interested in the things you enjoy yourself, we're working on our eldest son and his girlfriend, they want to get fit and we think there's no better way than a good old session in the mountains :D :lol:
Have Patrik and Alice caught the bug?
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland