walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby KatTai » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 26/07/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Schiehallion was my 2nd Munro, and with Millie having a rest I returned to Schiehallion with Moss and our cuddly pal, Dottie the Dalmatian, to get Dottie level with Millie and myself on 13 Munros, and Moss up to Munro number 5!

1.jpg
Dottie the Dalmatian and Moss

There is a clear, well-made path leading all the way up to the boulder field and while there were showers all around us, we avoided getting hit by any of them!

e.jpg

This was Moss' first Munro without big sister Millie with her and while on the good track this was fine, crossing the boulder field was a different matter. She hadn't been across any boulder fields yet and it was soon clear that she was lacking in confidence in crossing this type of ground by her clinging to my heel. I encouraged her to go on ahead across boulders to where I could see bits of path for her to "find" to try and build her confidence up. It seemed to be working and we made our way up to the busy summit.

12.jpg

Moss had been carrying her rucksack up until this point but at the top I put it in my own pack to carry back down for her and she was left off the lead for the descent, though she still tend to stick to my heel most of the time and I had to keep checking to see if I could still see a tail behind me to make sure she was still there! She did go on ahead a few times though and seemed to be getting the hang of crossing the boulders!

29.jpg

Still, she was clearly a lot happier when we reached a bit where we could go around the boulder field following a faint at times path across softer ground.

31.jpg

From there it was back on the main path that took us back down to the car, with a minor incident where Moss misjudged how deep one of the muddy pools was!

49.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland