walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Big Bookill

Big Bookill

Postby steviesea » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 04/07/2016

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 1314m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off at 6.50 with cloud up around 700 metres. Used the standard route from Altnafeadh. Once I got 3/4 of the way up, that was it for views apart for a couple of very fleeting glimpses. Summited Stob Dearg after 2h,11m and remember thinking how long I'd been dreaming of being in this actual spot, so it was with a heavy heart that I had to admit there was no way any views would be appearing any time soon so didn't hang around too long. :( Besides, it was windy as hell and really cold ( July ). Still heavily in clag until a slight glimpse just before the top of Stob Na Doire which was very disorientating and what I saw didn't correspond with the map in my head. With this confusion still in mind, added to the thick clag I made the error pointed out in the WH route and began to descend S E but soon realised what I,d done. Truthfully it felt like the end of the ridge at the cairn and it looked as though to proceed would end up with me plummeting into the abyss. Proof that its a good idea to read route descriptions and walk reports because potential mishaps like this are already there in your head so you're ready for them. After consulting view ranger app I found the right way to go which seemed completely the wrong direction and was embarrassed that I could easily have got lost on a bloody ridge :crazy: After that everything went to plan without problems until crossing the stream which had swelled hugely and had to follow it down for about 30m before finding a slightly wet but relatively safe hop skip and jump across. Despite the hugely disappointing clag, still loved being on such an icon and didn't see a soul the whole trip :)
2016-01-8--21-32-34.jpeg

2016-01-8--21-32-34.jpeg
Attachments
2016-01-8--21-33-12.jpeg
steviesea
Wanderer

Munros:87   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Hewitts:42

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland