walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monega Hill from Glas Maol

Monega Hill from Glas Maol

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Glas Maol

Date walked: 28/07/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 450m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Aiming to keep up my hill per month undertaking since January 2013 the pressure was on to find something as July was fast running out and there seemed little prospect of the fair and/or pollen free weather I prefer. Nonetheless a Thursday morning weather window appeared and I had Thursday morning off work.
I decided on Monega Hill because it gets a good deal of praise as a viewpoint and on the map it looks to afford good views down its bounding glens, if glens can be said to bound.
Planned departure time was 5am to try to coincide with the forecast late morning lifting of cloud. Somehow, though, I'd managed not to set the alarm clock so it was my internal clock that woke me up. Damn, ten to five. However, car was packed so I managed to be on my way by 5.05am.
I arrived at the Cairnwell carpark at 7.40am and was soon making my way up the small zig zags on the way up to Glas Maol. The views around were better than I remembered and I wasn't prepared for the distant sight of the Lomond Hills to the south or the shimmer of the North Sea to the east but there they were nevertheless. And did I also catch a glimpse of the Buck or Rinness on the way there and a hint of Lochnagar? This was proving to be far better than anticipated. An hour, then, to get to the top and that meant I was on schedule.
The jaws of Caenlochan Glen beckoned to the east in a way that they might not have in a previous life as a would be bagger. Now it is cliffs and views that draw me on. These on the north side of Monega Hill did not seem so fine as their neighbours on the other side of the glen but fine enough.
I got to the foot of the Monega ridge at 9.20am after an easy walk over short grass with hares darting about here and there. Glas Maol really is a harey hill.
Before starting along the ridge I decided on a detour north to get a view of Craigie Doubs. Then it was off for an easy stroll along the level ridge. The views had me reaching for the camera and I started to doubt if I would get to work fro 1.30pm. So I decided to be disciplined and do an about turn at 10am. By remarkable coincidence I got to Monega Hill just after and I knew I would be a lot faster on the return.
So I still had a relaxed few minutes at Monega Hill and time to take in the grand views north east, south and directly east and down to the River Isla.
Met someone at Glas Maol on the way back and was happy to find that it was only 10.45am so plenty of time for the descent. Nevertheless by the time I set off from the car park it was 11.50am, 12.02pm and two minutes behind schedule on leaving Braemar but only three minutes behind schedule when I finally pressed the power button on my work PC to signify that I had arrived almost on time.

ImageDSCN7642 by John Little, on Flickr
Looking north east from near the top of Monega.

ImageDSCN7652 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7658 by John Little, on Flickr
River Isla to the east.

ImageDSCN7667 by John Little, on Flickr
Finalty Hill.

ImageDSCN7697 by John Little, on Flickr
It's a harey hill.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:27   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland