walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal & Beinn a Chroin 31/32

An Caisteal & Beinn a Chroin 31/32

Postby DJG78 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:06 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chroin

Date walked: 10/08/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 923m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good day but crazy weather. Sun one minute, cloud and heavy rain the next. Very, very boggy. First run out in the new Mammot gore tex boots. Coped brillaintly. Were constantly soaked for 6 hrs and did not let a drop of water in. Very impressive! I need some new pants though as those Peter storm ones are crap. They arn't breathable enough. Legs get soaked from sweat. Also worth buying a gore tex cap as my cotton one isnt great. Holds sweat and isnt water proof.

Tassle came off my Berghaus pack when securing poles. Fix with super glue. Also fix gaiter for the 3rd time. Might have to look into getting a new pair if they continue to break. Great scramble up Beinn a Chroin. Took this option instead of the path from An Caisteal as it looked do-able. Struggled near the top due to no holds, had to give it my all to cling on while heaving myself up. Was a little scary but chuffed i managed it.

Long soggy tasking walk back to the car and starting point. Got a bit sick as it was so wet and muddy. I felt like i had been trudging ankle deep for ages. Next time take railway gravel path in under bridge instead of walking through the field at the start as it was like a swamp. I only noticed the gravel path on my return which is through a gate to the north end of the layby when you start. This can easlily be used at the start to save being soaked strainght away.

An Caisteal 001.jpg

An Caisteal 005.jpg

An Caisteal 006.jpg

An Caisteal 013.jpg

An Caisteal 017.jpg

An Caisteal 026.jpg

An Caisteal 020.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland