walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aran Fawddwy +

Aran Fawddwy +

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:01 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Aran Benllyn, Aran Fawddwy, Erw y Ddafad-ddu, Esgeiriau Gwynion (Foel Rhudd), Foel Hafod-fynydd, Llechwedd Du, Moel y Cerrig Duon

Date walked: 19/08/2016

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 27.7 km

Ascent: 1620m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A long and at times tiring route from Bala - going from top quality on the main Aran Ridge to wilder and harsher terrain on the peaty Eastern Aran's followed by a long road walk out (albeit a very quiet one).

I'd looked at ways of doing Aran Fawddwy from both sides but in the end an hours less drive and the thought of doing the grand looking ridge from the end of Lyn Tegid won out. Plus this route gave us the benefit of being able to tag on the wetter Aran hills after a decent dry spell.

Not a great day for photos with extremely hazy conditions and some morning mist on the tops of the higher Aran hills but very warm and muggy.

1 Clear starting point.JPG
There's a good car park at Llanuwchylln and the way from there is clearly marked.

I always think this is a good idea by farmers who have a right of way going through their land. Make the route clear with markers and walkers will get off their land quickly and easily.

2 Ridge ahead.JPG
The enticing ridge ahead

3 AB getting closer.JPG
Aran Benllyn getting closer

4 AB summit - mist in.JPG
Unfortunately it briefly clouded over upon our arrival at Aran Benllyn summit

5 No 2 appears.JPG
Erw y Ddafad-ddu appears out of the mist. An easy walk from here.

6 Back to AB.JPG
Looking back to Aran Benllyn

7 No 2 Summit.JPG
Erw y Ddafad-ddu summit

8 AF Trig.JPG
Aran Fawddwy Trig Point

9 Coming out of mist No 4 ahead.JPG
After backtracking to Erw y Ddafad-ddu we descended to Creiglyn Dyfi and came out of the mist to see Foel Hafod-fynydd ahead

10 No 4 Summit.JPG
Foel Hafod-fynydd summit with the main ridge still in cloud behind

11 No 5 ahead.JPG
Esgeiriau Gwynion ahead - reached by a steep descent to a boggy saddle and steep climb up the other side

12 LD.JPG
Llechwedd Du in view

13 No 5 Summit.JPG
Esgeiriau Gwynion summit

15 FD Summit.JPG
We took the detour over to Foel Rhudd - looking back at Esgeiriau Gwynion here.

14 LD Summit.JPG
Llechwedd Du summit. Rough hills these last few with bog and peat hags but nothing too testing after a dry spell.

Very similar to our local hills with my friend remarking we'd driven 100miles to do Bowland like hills!

16 head to No 8.JPG
Moel y Cerrig Duon looks a long way from here and it's a rough walk (wouldn't be pleasant after rain) to reach the high road from which things improve again

17 Last climb.JPG
Final climb to Moel y Cerrig Duon ahead

18 Summit No 8.JPG
Moel y Cerrig Duon summit

19  Road and cliffs.JPG
After taking a route one descent we reached the road just below Craig Yr Ogof

20 up the valley.JPG
It's a long road walk out from here but after the rough walking it was welcomed (at first) and the views back up the valley and over to the Aran's were superb...plus the road was very quiet.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Aran Fawddwy +

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:24 pm

Good to read this - I did the exact same route about 20 years ago with my brother in law, but I remembered it as being less peaty and more rocky-rough. That's what age does to your memory...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:49 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Good to read this - I did the exact same route about 20 years ago with my brother in law, but I remembered it as being less peaty and more rocky-rough. That's what age does to your memory...

Ha - I'm sure you remember correctly as certainly the main Aran's were rocky and rough - proper mountains so to speak.

It was the Eastern outliers that became peaty - decent variations to the walk though!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:06 am

Good stuff Broggy, always a bit of a bugger when the summit clouds in just as you arrive...and it's guaranteed to open up again as soon as you leave :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland