walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal from Derrydaroch decent by NW ridge

An Caisteal from Derrydaroch decent by NW ridge

Postby kabu1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal

Date walked: 18/08/2016

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At the end of a good spell of weather & with health issues improving I decided to head for the hills to do my recce for this walk for BR. The new hydro track certainly makes this route much less arduous as it crosses much of the boggy lower slopes on the ascent & I made use of it too on the descent. The haul up to top of Sron Gharbh was very steep & it may be better to head to the S a bit first on the walk itself. Twisting Hill makes for an easy ascent thereafter & the descent via the NW ridge and Stob Glas is delightful. Nothing too steep on the descent. Here's hoping that the walk day itself is good weatherwise.
kabu1
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:14
Fionas:9   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland