walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Craigendarroch en famille

Craigendarroch en famille

Postby Alastair S » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Route description: Craigendarroch oakwoods, Ballater

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craigendarroch

Date walked: 01/08/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 305m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20100801.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After another wet weekend morning it looked like it could be a better afternoon. And after her success on Conic Hill a week earlier the good wife was up for another [sub-2000ft] Marilyn. So off we all went to Ballater to tackle Craigendarroch - a hill I've passed on countless occasions - usually to hills of a greater stature. Nevertheless I've always wanted to do this one.
As it turned out the weather wasn’t fab but at least we didn’t get rained on & the dog got a good run about. The views at the top are pretty good but we couldn’t see Lochnagar due to a rain shower moving down Deeside.

Ballater with rain moving up Deeside.jpg

Family at the view point.jpg

Wifey makes the summit.jpg

Most the time I pass this way I take the Pass of Ballater road (B972) that by-passes the village. There is a small car park in the forest off this road that always seems to have several cars in it. I’ve guessed that they belong to rock climbers as it looks like there is a substantial cliff here – just you can’t see anything from the road and I’ve yet to stop. Well on this walk we got to see just how substantial these cliffs are.

Climbers on Creag an t-Seabhaig (Pass of Ballater).jpg

Details of same.jpg

The plan was to go back via Black Faced Sheep @ Aboyne as reward for completing this one. Unfortunately we faffed about too much before we set off so said tea shop was closed by the time we got to Aboyne :(
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland