walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Long day but got the 2nd highest peak in there!

Long day but got the 2nd highest peak in there!

Postby craigthe5th » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 20/08/2016

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 34 km

Ascent: 1068m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Going to keep this short and sweet...

Pulled up in the car park nice and early ready for what we already knew was going to be a long day. First off the midges were unbearable! I have never seen anything like it. Due to never having this issue before (as we are amateur baggers) the thought of midges never even occurred to us. We quickly had to put the boots on and go. Unfortunately we were still surrounded by midges for the first hour of the walk. To anyone reading...

TAKE INSECT REPELLENT!!

I am currently itching all limbs as I type!

Anyway, the walk itself I really enjoyed, Carn a'Mhaim first then onto Ben Macdui then Derry Cairngorm to finish. Carn a'Mhaim was a good warm up for the day, the walk between Carn a'Mhaim and Ben Macdui was tough! A lot of boulders to climb up which is fine, although I get annoyed as its a lot of hard work for little progress. Either way we made it to the top. I have now climbed Scotlands 2 highest mountains which I am very proud of!

After Ben Macdui we moved onto Derry Cairngorm, plenty boulders in the way but not too much of an ascent to cause any bother.

The worst part of the way was when we were down off the hills and had a looooong walk back to the car. I really wish we had taken our bikes and the feet were throbbing a bit (I lie!) when we got back.

All in all a great day. The pro's outweight the con's as they mostly do. Safe to say, 2 days later the legs are a bit stiff. Worth every step!

Carn a'Mhaim Summit, very happy with oneself!

Ben Macdui summit. Still a chuffed laddie

Derry Cairngorm summit....ready to go home now!
craigthe5th
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland