walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Flying bird and dying swan over the Forcan Ridge

Flying bird and dying swan over the Forcan Ridge

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Route description: The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and Sgùrr na Sgìne

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 20/08/2016

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 1417m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Some mountains require sunny days with a clear sky and in my opinion the Forcan Ridge is one of them. I had arranged to meet Hugh for the walk and as usual the hardest part was to find the starting point. :roll: Once the car was parked we got the gear together and set off just before 9 am into the sunny morning . Crossing the gate we found a path which soon frazzled out , I was confused :problem: ? For such a famous hill, this was weird, surely there should be a proper path? We followed some tracks along a deer fence and thought that at least we were going in the right direction. :thumbup:

The view from the car park

Getting ready

Hugh on the 'path'

Looking back

Further up the hill we eventually managed to find the proper path and looking back realized that the main path was much further away from the car than we had expected. Never mind at least the ‘wrong’ path had led us up the hill straight away- much better anyway! :thumbup: The higher we climbed the better the views got and it became apparent, that it would not be a day were speed records would be broken by Hugh, as I slowed him down too much 8)

Impressive views towards the west

At the start of the ridge looking back

The ridge ahead

Across the valley clouds topped the tops of the Brothers ridge, but we were drawn to the ridge in front of us. It looked impressive!
For those who don’t like scrambling a path led away from the ridge and curved around the left hand site of the mountain, but there was no way that we would bypass all the fun.
Time to put the walking poles away and start the climb.

Hugh after the first part, with part of the ridge behind him

Into the distance

Posing with views towards the east

Sgurr na Sgine on the right in the distance

Impressive knife edge rocks

Happy to be on a mountain again

Oh those views

Oh how much fun it was to do a good scramble again. Nerve wracking even right from the start and with amazing views. Personally I loved the trickier sections, while Hugh was a bit more vary of them. Yet it all equaled itself out, as he was far faster on ‘normal’ ground. At least we were able to get some action shots.

Real fun is laying ahead

Tackling the ridge

The summit in the distance

Me in action

Further up the mountain we reached a point where a rope was tied around a rock. Upon further inspection we looked down the other site. A steep abyss gulp. We did not need any further discussion and took the bypass. The bypass however has special enough as we had to squeeze through a narrow gap in the rock and tread lightly on some dodgy wet ground. Once we reached the other site we looked up at the ‘wall’ and decided that we did the right thing!

When we were just about to leave we saw 2 other hill walkers who had arrived at the same point. We could not believe our eyes when one of them took the abyss route without any bother. This was something I had to watch (in slight envy) He later on explained to us that he was a keen rock climber which explained a lot!

The wall from the other side, as usually not looking half as bad on a photo as it did in real life. The bypass is on the right.

Looking towards the top again

The last scramble before the top

Chatting along with the two other hill walkers who introduced themselves as Craig and Doug we walked to the top were we all sat down and marvelled at the amazing views towards Skye, Rum, Ben Nevis and as it felt the whole mountain ranges of Scotland – what a view!

Towards Skye and Rum

Views back along the ridge

Beinn Sgritheall in the distance

With Craig and Doug

With Hugh

Once the two had left it was time for some summit shots. Aiming for flying bird over the summit cairn, I was not sure that Hugh quite managed it...needless to say it was hilarious to watch :lol:

Flying bird

Dying swan

Once we successfully, or shall I say rather unsuccessfully tried some flying poses over the cairn we moved on along the old stone wall down to the bealach which separates the Saddle from Sgurr na Sgine.

On the way towards Sgurr na Sgine on the right

Down at the bealach

Towards the other direction

On the way up

The climb up Sgurr na Sgine was by far not as exciting as the ridge has been, but the views certainly made up for it. Once we reached the cairn , the Glen Shiel Ridge was laying in front of us, it looked pretty close, but neither of us would have fancied climbing another 7 hills at that point. I know that some might not agree, but I think to truly enjoy the Glen Shield Ridge and the Forcan Ridge, you need to divide them into 2 days. We lingered at the second cairn for a while, until Hugh was keen to head back and so we made our way towards Faochag. We had looked at different options to get down, but the walk across and down the hill looked the easiest at that point.

Views from the top of Sgurr na Sgine towards the Glen Shiel Ridge

Faochag is to the left

Towards the Saddle

The summit cairn

Enjoying some food

The Forcan Ridge

Towards the 909 top of Faochag

Foachag summit

The lump of Sgurr na Sgine

The Forcan Ridge again

Views down towards the road

Posing

The walk down

A lovely wee mountain worth a climb at some point (Pap of Glen Shiel? ) :wink:

The walk up to Faochag is certainly pleasant and it is a far better view point than Sgurr na Sgine had been. The road below seemed so close, yet we would have to loose some serious height . All ways which lead up will have to go down and so the endless downhill climb started. I called it the never ending story, as the road and cars did not seem to get any closer regardless how far we walked. :?

We finally after what felt like hours we reached the burn. Crossing it I felt the first rain drop and a minute later, a torrential downpour started. Yes I had been dreaming about a cold shower, but that was maybe a bit too far. :lol: Soaked we got to the car and looked back to the hills, now hidden away by a wall of rain- that was lucky. :D

The lovely burn

The rain ...about one min later is was pouring

The Forcan Ridge certainly held the grandiose it had promised and I was glad that I had waited for the perfect day to climb it.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Flying bird and dying swan over the Forcan Ridge

Postby Guinessman » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Great report and some fantastic shots. Been the late 90,s since I was last on that same route.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby skawt100 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:34 pm

Wee black car? Shiel Bridge campsite? I was 80% sure it was you in the campsite, if I was any surer I would have said hello! I was driving the white golf estate parked next to you :)

The Forcan Ridge is definitely in my top 3 walks. The ridge is so good you almost forgive the horrific descent. Did you do any walking on the Sunday? We did Beinn Fhada on the Saturday but had a day in the clouds on Sunday on The Brother's Ridge.
skawt100
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   Corbetts:39
Fionas:9   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:8   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:51 pm

What a day you picked for this superb route - just brilliant! It brought back some cracking memories.

Must admit, when I was up there I never thought to try to fly....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Borderhugh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 am

It was a great day out Maja. I don't think we could have asked for anything better in the weather stakes. Will clearly have to work on my trig point poses - that was me poncing around; that swan manoeuvre did have me in stitches though :D
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:14 am

Some stunning photographs there, it wets my appetite to go up again soon. Liked and laughed at the summit poses.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:47 am

@ Guinessman - many thanks :D

@ skawt100 - yes that was my car at the Shiel Bridge Campsite :D
I did not climb any hill on the Sunday. Did you at least had a dry day? I remember it did not rain when I left in the morning. Ben Fada must have been lovely on the Saturday as well.

@ Alteknacker- I am glad the day turned out the way it was...and flying is harder than it looks :wink:

@Borderhugh- thanks for your company again! Regarding those trig point poses... :lol: if you do make some some equally funny ones

@ The Rodmiester- Many thanks and glad I made you laugh :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby FromDownSouth » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:53 am

Bravo to the both of you for the walk, for the report and for breath-taking photo's :clap: :clap: :clap:

@Hugh - LMAO at your "Dying swan" pose :lol: :lol: :lol:
FromDownSouth
Mountaineer

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:43 pm

Great photo's and I love the action shots. We were there the a few days before you and also had a lovely sunny day and good fun on the ridge. We took a rope for the steep down climb, an awful faff for tht short section but I wouldn't have liked to have done it without.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:13 am

@FromDownSouth: Many thanks :D
@Cairngorm creeper- Brilliant that you had a good day as well! Wise regarding the rope on that bit!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby linco9664 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Great report, pics and Ridge. Done this couple of years ago and loved every knee trembling minute. Thanks for the memories.
linco9664
Munro compleatist

Munros:161   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:8

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Ooohhh... enjoyed reading that, brilliant pics. When I read the title I was puzzled as to what adventurous stunt you had pulled this time ... summit poses indeed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland