walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Hidden Duo

A Hidden Duo

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Route description: Creag Mac Ranaich and Meall an t-Seallaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mac Ranaich, Meall an t-Seallaidh

Date walked: 27/08/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22.1 km

Ascent: 1116m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As always, this wasn't the plan.

I was going to head down to Galloway for a Corbett and a couple of Donalds but while the forecast was good there was due to be some showers coming in from the west so in the end I decided to head over to Lochearnhead.

It's been 3 weeks since my last hill walk and I had been off work for the first week due to a back injury. I was in work taking part in a quiz, we were split into two teams and my team were struggling with a question posed by the other team. Someone in the other team dropped a hint that the answer we were looking for could be found on the screen behind me so I spun round and twisted my back. To cut a long story short, a lot of pain, took 15 minutes to get in to my car, each gear change was agony and I couldn't get out of the car when I got home. No more quizzes for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last weekend I went back to Dunkeld for a couple of short flattish walks and this would be the first time I had put any pressure on the back since the injury so hopefully everything would be OK.

I had read a couple of winter reports on these hills and I was keen to do them, the other benefit was that it was a much shorter drive so better for the back.

Arriving at the main car park in Lochearnhead I parked by the overflowing recycling area and was walking for 8:30am (this was my attempt to leave it later to give the clouds a chance to lift - I'm not very good at late starts).

There is a path by the main road which I followed to the A84/A85 junction where I turned left on the A84 Callander road following this road to within about 30 yards of leaving the village where I turned right and headed up past the church.

1.jpg
Seen better days

I followed this road up to a bridge, turning left just shy of it following the blue cycle route sign. Thirty yards further on I turned right on to the cycle route (also the Rob Roy Way) heading towards Glen Ogle.

I was on this section of the walk 15 months ago when doing the Rob Roy Way. That day I was walking from Callander to Killin and it was a thoroughly miserable day with rain falling from start to finish with not even the hint of a break. Today was better, overcast (but no threat of rain) but the suggestion that the clouds would lift by midday.

After going under the bridge the gradient steepens for a very short section but then there are some easy zig zags which get me up to the old railway line fairly quickly.

3.jpg
Easy walking on the cycle route

There is a bench at the railway line (not required today) and this is where I leave the Rob Roy Way and turn left. Within a few yards there is a gate then with it being a disused railway line it is pretty flat and easy walking.

4.jpg
Now on the old railway line

There are another couple of gates to negotiate, the last one before leaving the railway line put up a good fight and I had to lift it to get it to budge. With the next bridge in view I left the line 50 yards short of it, through an old wooden gate and up and over the bridge to enter Glen Kendrum.

5.jpg
Left turn short of the bridge

My first view of the glen wasn't that appealing with a lot of cloud covering the tops.

7.jpg
Cloud cover on the hills

The walk up the glen is on a good wide track, over to my left and further up the glen I can see earth works and various diggers etc. I'm not sure if it is mandatory for these to be in every glen or just every glen I'm heading for but there does seem to be a lot going on in the hills at the moment.

8.jpg

My old tattered 1993 map shows the track ending half way up the glen but my Garmin was correct and I was able to stay on the track to the bealach between my two target hills.

I was aware of a river crossing higher up the glen but with little water and dry stepping stones this was straight forward.

9.jpg
River crossing

10.jpg
Cloud lifting

After crossing the river the gradient steepened a little as I headed for the bealach. At the bealach I had a chocolate stop, I was expecting to feel a breeze at this height but still nothing to be had so it would be warm work on the climb ahead. I had been aware of loads of bees buzzing around me but now that I was stopped the midge arrived so I set off on the climb. I was doing Creag Mac Ranaich first so it was a right turn off the track and then just pick a route up the hill.

It's short, it's steep and it's wet in places, it's common to say height was gained quickly - it wasn't. It was most definitely a slow plod with a fair number of stops for "photo opportunities" before the gradient eased. There is a bit of a bowl on top of the hill and I wasn't checking my Garmin or my paper map so I drifted further east than I needed to but on the plus side I got a great view back down the glen.

12.jpg
Looking down Glen Kendrum

I could now see the summit cairn which was a good bit further away than I had expected as the hill top has quite a big dog-leg to the left that I hadn't been aware of but it's more or less flat now with only a very easy climb to the top and the cairn.

13.jpg
Summit cairn - Killin and Loch Tay in the distance

A few minutes at the cairn and I was off back towards the bealach. I took it very slowly down the steep grassy slope to the track as it would have been easy to have a fall here. There was a chap doing the climb at the same time I was dropping down but he was well over to my left so didn't make contact.

Back at the track I had another chocolate stop but again the midge arrived so I headed off.

14.jpg
View from the track

On the climb of Creag Mac Ranaich I had looked round at what I would face on the climb up to Cam Chreag and it didn't look very appealing (lots of high peat hags) but it was actually much easier than it looked. The heathery peat bog section wasn't that wet or difficult and the steeper grassy section that followed was on a slightly easier gradient and drier (than CMR).

15.jpg
Looking back to Creag Mac Ranaich

I skirted Cam Chreag (to the South) and it was then a straight forward walk to the top following an old fence line.

16.jpg
The summit of Meall an t-Seallaidh ahead

17.jpg
Looking NW to the 817 point

18.jpg
Looking towards Loch Earn from just short of the top

The summit of Meall an t-Seallaidh is a great viewpoint for lochs with Earn, Voil and Lubnaig all in sight.

19.jpg
Summit cairn - Loch Earn beyond

20.jpg
Loch Lubnaig

21.jpg
Loch Voil

After taking some photos from the top I headed off. I continued along the ridge using my Garmin to judge when I was past the crags to my left before starting to drop down and head towards the track through Glen Kendrum. Looking down the glen I decided to head straight for the works area as I knew there would be an easy crossing of the river and with it being a Saturday the area was quiet with no work being carried out. It's a wet grassy descent, the gradient is easy and on the face of it it's a straight forward walk but I still managed to fall in to two well hidden holes and one trench which had stagnant water which went up to the top of my knee.

22.jpg

23.jpg

I was glad to reach the main track and with the sun now breaking through the clouds it's a nice warm afternoon making for a pleasant walk back down the glen.

24.jpg
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chron

Lower down the glen there were a few more people around with a group of 5 stopped by the side of the track taking in the views and an older couple out walking their dog.

25.jpg
Looking back up the glen to the two Corbetts

26.jpg
A dead tree - how did I miss this on the way up??

Once back on the cycle route there were a lot more people about (I was the only one walking), this seems to be a really popular place for mountain bikers.

27.jpg
View of Loch Earn from the cycle track

Back at the car park in exactly 6 hours.

Good couple of hills these, really enjoyed them - especially the views from Meall an t-Seallaidh.
Attachments
11.jpg
Looking over towards the start of the climb to Meall an t-Seallaidh
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: A Hidden Duo

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:34 pm

These hills are a fantastic couple for views, good to see the cloud lifted for you.

Hope your quiz injury is on the mend :wink:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Enjoyed this - when I lived in the area I missed these hills and reports like this are whetting the appetite so thanks :D

Hope the back recovers quickly.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am

Your injury reminds me of someone I know who had a mouthwash injury :lol: it's so easy to do though, and back injuries are horrible. Hope it held up and you're on the mend :wink:

What is up with the midge at the moment?! :shock: :shock: great views :thumbup:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:06 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:These hills are a fantastic couple for views, good to see the cloud lifted for you.

Hope your quiz injury is on the mend :wink:

Hi - it's not often the cloud lifts at just the right time but this was that rare occasion and probably won't be repeated again this year.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Enjoyed this - when I lived in the area I missed these hills and reports like this are whetting the appetite so thanks :D

Hope the back recovers quickly.

Maybe because they are not in sight from any of the roads nearby I had never really been aware of them till I read a report on this sight and since then I've kept them in mind for a decent day - was surprised just how good the views were.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:12 pm

Jaxter wrote:Your injury reminds me of someone I know who had a mouthwash injury :lol: it's so easy to do though, and back injuries are horrible. Hope it held up and you're on the mend :wink:

What is up with the midge at the moment?! :shock: :shock: great views :thumbup:

Hi Jaxter - a mouthwash injury - I don't feel so daft now :lol: :lol: :lol:

The back survived three falls coming off the second hill so it must be on the mend.

Perfect Midge day on Saturday, flat calm even on higher ground so they were happy to come out and play.............
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:32 am

Gordie, don't worry about your quiz injury - my mum had beach injury this year, twisted her ankle badly when walking on a perfectly flat, sandy beach! :shock:
3 weeks for recovery is not bad, Kevin took 2 months before he could walk the wide path up Ben Rinnes... About 3 months before he could climb anything more difficult.

The Corbetts look interesting, shame they are so far from Inverness! Wish I had a teleport :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:16 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Gordie, don't worry about your quiz injury - my mum had beach injury this year, twisted her ankle badly when walking on a perfectly flat, sandy beach! :shock:
3 weeks for recovery is not bad, Kevin took 2 months before he could walk the wide path up Ben Rinnes... About 3 months before he could climb anything more difficult.

The Corbetts look interesting, shame they are so far from Inverness! Wish I had a teleport :lol:

Hi BP - these are only 20 minutes down the road from your current South East campaign :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland