walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up Sron na Lairig & down Beinn Fhada

Up Sron na Lairig & down Beinn Fhada

Postby gman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 29/08/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1066m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

sron na lairig actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Inspired by basscadet's report http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65951, here's more Sron na Lairig!

Not sure how closely I followed Scrambles in Lochaber on this: I went to the big, obvious slab bottom centre of the pic. Started up the slab itself as the rock is grippy but then found some slippy lichenous bits so I moved right and followed crampon scratches up. At the top of this section there's a grassy bit in front of steep rock with another slab on the far right.

Closer angle, big slab lower down and another smaller one at the right of the next section up.

Following the crampon scratches after the first slab. I was looking for an arete on the left and saw a possible contender on the other side of a gully but getting over there looked wet & slippy.

Next section, slab on the right.

Up the groove.

Short scree path at the top of the slab and apparently the hardest bit is now done. Next, more steep rock with a 'block forming a tower against the skyline'.

Beinn Fhada bad step is a notch in the ridge.

Tried a few options getting past the tower block, the rock is good but there's still vegetation making it seem less secure.

The rest is straightforward with a few short narrow sections on the ridge. Think I'd be doing these a cheval in winter.

Beinn Fhada ridge.

Never been on Fhada before, it's a good ridge walk.

At the bad step. The path is easy to follow - down and to the right then it turns round back towards Sgreamhach.

From the other side: the bad step looks tricky but the path is easy to follow.

Got to the last col before the 823 point, there was a cairn here so I thought it might be a good place to descend.

Steep grass, scree and crags to walk around.

Can't see the rock bands from above so it's a bit of a maze, glad to be back on the path. Sron na Lairig in winter sounds tempting.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Up Sron na Lairig & down Beinn Fhada

Postby Verylatestarter » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:06 pm

We reversed your route and included BNB.
Up through the rocky bands on Beinn Fhada and the bad step. We then went past Sron na Larig down to the dip in the ridge and then North down the slope into Lairig Eilde and up the South end of Stob Dubh . A hard day in which we ran out of time to do S C Raineach.

Thanks for a great report and photos, looks like one for the to do list.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland