walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A memorable stag with 2 great guys

A memorable stag with 2 great guys

by kevsbald » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:10 am

Date walked: 14/08/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 25 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A memorable stag with 2 great guys

Postby fhaoilgeal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Congratulations Kev on your upcoming nuptials.
Wishing you both much happiness and joy.

Excellent report and a superb way to spend your stag party...on the hills with friends. :thumbup:
(Is your missus-to-be also a hill walker?)
fhaoilgeal
Mountaineer

Postby Alastair S » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Paul Webster wrote:According to Adam Watson, the best of all the tors is Clach Bhan (heading up to Ben Avon from Inchrory).

Clach Bhan sounds like a must do - once I get my mountain bike (just days away, courtesy of the bikes to work scheme) I'm sure to be up this way a lot more. There are loads of tracks from Gairnshiel Lodge (A939), Corgarff & Tomintoul.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:09 pm

kevsbald wrote:the recent photos of the Barns (HighlandSC?) of Bynack More

I did take a few on this report: Bynack More (inc. the Barns of Bynack)

Alastair S also took some in HDR pics on a recent report: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6558
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Just looking stuff up - Watson also mentions Clach Bun Rughtair - a couple of km n from Clach Choutsaich..

Adam Watson wrote:.. a group of rocks stnading up like gigantic rhinosaurus horns... These and Sabhalan Beithneag on Bynack Mor [Barns of Bynack] are the highest and most impressive tors in the Cairngorms... the middle on sticks up highest, reaching 25m, and has a window right through it

I think Ben Avon tor-bagging could become the next big thing 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Wow - count me in for the next trip to the Tors. Get to the Torsmobile! Cheers for that Paul.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby kinley » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Great looking trip! 8)

That approach from Glen Gairn is much better for exploring some tors - did you climb Clach Choutsaich? I didn't manage to get up that.

Agree with Paul - a wild camp from the NE (Cock Bridge for me) would be highly enjoyable.

Some great pics and a sense of a fun trip 8)

All you need now is to persuade the future SWMBO to order you out walking :lol:
kinley

Postby Graeme D » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Paul Webster wrote:I fancy going that way as a wild-camp trip from Tomintoul, maybe next May.

kinley wrote:Agree with Paul - a wild camp from the NE (Cock Bridge for me) would be highly enjoyable.

Do yourselves a favour then guys, gonnae no go in over Brown Cow Hill and descend SW towards Loch Builg! Just gonnae no! Absolutely brutal terrain. I parked at Cock Bridge and after rattling off Carn Ealasaid, headed in over BC Hill from the NE. The ascent up from the Carn Oighreag track isn't too bad, but the descent off the other side did my head something terrible. How I ever made it to our designated campsite without doing an ankle I'll never know!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Sounds like you picked the wrong route, although we'll see when you do your report. I went up and down Brown Cow Hill from that general side and found it OK (link).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kinley » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:35 pm

I was planning just that Graeme - was it terrain or vegetation that was the issue for you?
kinley

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:07 pm

kinley wrote:I was planning just that Graeme - was it terrain or vegetation that was the issue for you?

Hmm, dunno really, bit of both I suppose. I possibly did take a poor line (you'll see the route of descent when I actually get round to reporting). Rather than follow the ridge round to the west of Cairn Sawvie and then down to the track to the north of Loch Builg, I took a more direct line to the tiny lochans at the southern end of the loch. This was a much less steep slope of descent than the alternative, but it was just a real slog - uneven terrain under really thick, course heather cover. I was stumbling quite a bit, perhaps because I was aware that I was later than I had planned and was therefore pushing the pace a bit and possibly because I was a bit knackered anyway after spending the previous few days laying a new garden path. :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland