walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Central Fells Round

Central Fells Round

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:32 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Armboth Fell, Bleaberry Fell, High Seat, High Tove, Walla Crag

Date walked: 30/08/2016

Time taken: 4.2

Distance: 17.95 km

Ascent: 873m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Central Fells Round

Up nice and early again to tackle the central fells alongside Derwent Water. I parked on the road leading to Watendlath and walked up the road itself to Ashness Bridge.

From here I carried on up the road and eventually arrived at Suprise viewpoint; this was probably the nicest viewpoint of the day as the rest of the fells above were covered in clag.

From here I followed the path which runs alongside Watendlath beck up to the farm itself. This path is an outstanding walk in itself and I thoroughly enjoyed wandering along it.

From the small village of Watendlath I followed the pathway straight up the fellside and onto High Tove.

As there didn't seem to be any kind of path leading to it, I decided to just walk straight at Armboth Fell, and soon arrived at the summit. On Armboth Fell I think that Wainwright couldn't put it any better: "the flat desolate top is more like a quagmire, a tangle of swamp and heather and mosses, as is much of the surrounding territory."

From Armboth again there was no noticeable path, so I headed straight towards High Seat through the long grass and marsh... After what seemed like forever I eventually met the fenceline running up to High Seat, and finally found a path leading to the summit. Very wet. Very Marshy.

From High Seat I walked through more marshland to Bleaberry Fell, and from there to Walla Crag which rewarded me with more stunning views out over Derwent Water and Keswick,

I followed Cat Gill down the fell side, and the path led back to the car park.

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by A Drunken Taffer on Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Re: Central Fells Round

Postby ChrisW » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:58 am

I would have loved to see those views over Derwent Water and Keswick ADT but there's no images showing on the report for me :(
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Central Fells Round

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:26 pm

ChrisW wrote:I would have loved to see those views over Derwent Water and Keswick ADT but there's no images showing on the report for me :(

Sorry Chris, Just seen this. How strange, all are showing on my end? Are you still having no joy.

ADT
A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland