walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creagan a' Chaise

Creagan a' Chaise

Postby litljortindan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:58 am

Route description: Creagan a' Chaise, Cromdale Hills

Fionas included on this walk: Creagan a' Chaise

Date walked: 16/08/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On this very warm day we were bound for Sgorr Gaoith but our will to get there evaporated along the way and there was no resistance to my suggestion that we try something shorter and nearer to home. I do tend to buckle in the heat and despite the shortness of the walk I found this a demanding day, more so than when I visited in nice, cold February. In fact, when we reached the first cairn I was half hoping that Jill would put her foot down and say far enough. She does like to exercise though and she was all for a continuation south. Never mind, a fairly flat ridge I thought.
Flat, yes, but dry no. I knew of its boggy reputation but it felt quite surreal to be squelching almost all the way to the top. What a soggy hill, and this in a very warm and dry spell.
Three days later I was in hospital with a kidney stone. Still not sure what this means for my future hillwalking.

ImageDSCN7892 by John Little, on Flickr
first cairn just visible top left

ImageDSCN7897 by John Little, on Flickr
nice and heathery on the way up

ImageDSCN7899 by John Little, on Flickr
some Cairngorm peripherals

ImageDSCN7905 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7906 by John Little, on Flickr
at the first cairn

ImageDSCN7916 by John Little, on Flickr
nearing the summit

ImageDSCN7917 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7918 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7919 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7920 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7924 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7925 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7932 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7933 by John Little, on Flickr
at the summit cairn

ImageDSCN7921 by John Little, on Flickr
Lochnagar

ImageDSCN7935 by John Little, on Flickr
ImageDSCN7936 by John Little, on Flickr
looks dry but that is one big soggy sponge
Last edited by litljortindan on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Creagan a' Chaise

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Must admit you had me checking my maps for this one - looks good.

In the close up picture of Jill by the big cairn, is she practising her aircraft traffic control signs??

Hope all is OK with your health issue and it doesn't affect the hill walking.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks for this - we pass through Cromdale regularly and these hills are on my radar for the next trip when we have time plus decent weather so its great to know what the conditions are like :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Great views from Creagan a Chaise but torturous with the bog and even worse in soft snow :( but we walked the hills end to end on New Year's Day when it was all frozen solid and the going was remarkably easy. I think Sgor Gaoith may have been easier :lol: .
I hope your health issues are resolved soon.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Must admit you had me checking my maps for this one - looks good.

In the close up picture of Jill by the big cairn, is she practising her aircraft traffic control signs??

Hope all is OK with your health issue and it doesn't affect the hill walking.

Yes, plenty of character and fine views. Jill maybe has missed a vocation there and in fact there was a lot of air traffic that day. Second week in hospital but looking good though will have to change my lifetime habit of not drinking enough. I just like to learn the hard way it seems.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Thanks for this - we pass through Cromdale regularly and these hills are on my radar for the next trip when we have time plus decent weather so its great to know what the conditions are like :clap: :clap:

Don't think it would be great after heavy rain. Room for one small car at the farm entrance but i read too that the farm will happily give permission to park in its yard if you don't fancy parkng in Cromdale. Also seems to be a resonable route from the east according to folk we met there.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:21 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Great views from Creagan a Chaise but torturous with the bog and even worse in soft snow :( but we walked the hills end to end on New Year's Day when it was all frozen solid and the going was remarkably easy. I think Sgor Gaoith may have been easier :lol: .
I hope your health issues are resolved soon.

Yes, i think a cold winter's day might be best. Hopefully back walking soon but having to think about hydration first.
litljortindan
Ambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland