walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The misty mountains- summit camp up Braeriach (with photos)

The misty mountains- summit camp up Braeriach (with photos)

by Mountainlove » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:04 pm

Route description: Cairn Toul - Braeriach traverse

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Càrn a' Mhàim, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 27/08/2016

Time taken: 16.5 hours

Distance: 43.6 km

Ascent: 2366m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The misty mountains- summit camp up Braeriach (with phot

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:16 pm

I just read your report. Its marvelous and I am so pleased that you accepted the challenge :clap: :clap: :clap: and the Cairngorms did the rest to spell their charm on you. Well done for getting up that early :shock: I can see how the path is quite difficult in the pitch dark!
Urgh the gathering of the midges must have still been taken place when you were there.
As for the midge jacket I purchased it here: http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/ It fits nicely although so far I did not needed it (but I think it will be worth its weight in gold ) when the midges are out again.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Old Bill » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Great report!! Really enjoyed that.

Was your home for the night a Wild Country Zephyros? How have found it in windy weather?
The reason I ask is that I've never got mine to be properly taut - and yours looks similar, but have always been lucky with the weather. And I know that luck can't last for ever!

Cheers,
OB
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:29 pm

@ OB, you are right my tent is a Wild Country Zephyros. I am trying to think back, but so far I have never used it in very windy conditions. Saying that I also own a 1-layer Coleman Rigel tent and used that in gale force winds. I still don't know how it survived the night, but that night made me buy the Zephyros one, which believe me is 10x more sturdy, so don't worry too much I think it will hold up to the winds (as long as you don't plan to use it force 10 winds. 8)

P1060875-small.jpg

My portable coffin

Here is the full story: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45128&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby kevsbald » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm

No reindeer? When I camped at Devil's point they came to say hello. Your report captures the magic of the Cairngorm.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

27 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland