walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bike, Hike and Wild camp Adventure in The Letterewe Forest

Bike, Hike and Wild camp Adventure in The Letterewe Forest

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Route description: Beinn Airigh Charr, from Poolewe

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Airigh Charr, Beinn Lair

Date walked: 28/08/2016

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Airigh Charr and Beinn Lair

Film

A week off – where to go and what to do…… Summit camps had crossed my mind but the weather wasn’t going to play ball, I wanted away, away from everyday life and so out came the Corbett books… I had promised myself I would make an effort to tick off my remaining 7 Munros but without companions who also like to tick these off I decided to make an indent into the Corbetts-no one would mind me ticking a few of these off… So many choices but I settled on those in The Letterewe Forest……

Heading off from the lowlands around mid-morning and I made my way north, again. Familiar hills and sights came into view and then out of view in the RVM, Drummochter Hills, The Cairngorms, Coulin Forest… Torridon…. Then Slioch and my objectives passed by… If it weren’t for Loch Maree, these would be pretty accessible locations! But the 20km stretch of water (4th largest fresh water Loch) meant I drove right past them until Poolewe was reached.
After much faffing about the bike was eventually fully loaded and ready to go… in the wilds….

A good track got me eating up the distance until the Kernsary Farm. Not long after this the forest track had me cursing as I pushed and hauled my heavy bike through bogs and puddles! However once this was done the fine single track out of the forest was cracking….

ImageSINGLE TRACK (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Where to camp – that was the next thought … already thoughts from the rat race were leaving my mind as survival and a place to rest my head for the night took over… I wanted to head up Beinn Airigh Charr this evening and when I found a grassy pitch at the lower reaches of Srathan Buidhe I quickly set camp. A nice northerly breeze was perfect as it kept the midge at bay (for the most part!)

Tent up and I was soon striding up the South East flank of Beinn Airigh Charr. No paths here but I was soon perched on the summit looking at the inside of a cloud. Map out and down I went for tea… As sunset approached, thoughts turned to catching a nice sunset. Around 250metres from the camp there was a slight peak. Sitting at around 250m, it wasn’t high but it did give some outstanding views over the surrounding wilderness.

ImageLetterewe Forest by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageBeinn Airigh Charr by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagedusk5 (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagedusk in Letterewe by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

I spent a few hours snapping away up here, watching the sunset come and go and the gathering dusk eventually being taken by nightfall. I have done many summit camps and seen some special night skies, however this was the most stars I have ever seen, the sky was in overload… the mind wanders, rat race gone for good, what’s out there

ImageStars of the Letterewe Forest by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

…. The glow of the Milky Way was amazing and a faint hint of green and red emerged on the norther horizon…

Imagestar gazer and AURORAS by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Eventually tiredness made me retreat to the tent. Tomorrow was going to be a long day. Sleep took me easily…
Waking to blue skies is immense, brekky was enjoyed and the bike was soon back in action, cycling to Poll Fraochain where it was left and my ascent to Beinn Lair started.

ImageBeinn Lair by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

This time a path made the going easier. The numerous stops were to take in the amazing scenery…. One side of Lair rolls away to the shores of Loch Maree, the side most of us see on our passage past… However, as with The Ben, the Northern slopes reveal the Hyde to the Jekyll.

ImageBeinn Lair by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Amazing cliffs line the northern flanks and if this wasn’t spectacular enough, the views open up as one gains height. Torridon fills the southern horizon, whilst we have near neighbours in Fisherfield and Slioch filling the sky. The northern horizon reveals the serrated peaks of AnTeallach – what a place to linger……

Imagean teallach (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Linger I did, but I had plans to touch Fisherfield. Down I went and the bike took me across the causeway to Carnmore. I headed up and over to Fuar Loch Mor avoiding stalking on the other side of the glen….. Remote beasts A’ Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor said hello and goodbye as I decided to head back. The weather was on the slide… The blue skies were now gone and a deeper grey blue sky was rolling in from the SW….

ImageFisherfield (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

1730 and I arrived back at the tent. Exhausted I was going to strike camp the next morning, but gale force winds (and a sleeping matt malfunction) saw me strike camp and cycle down to Poolewe in gusty winds and wet weather. A fine call by the wife saw me get the last room in the Loch Maree hotel where I arrived at 21.30….

Only come dawn did I recognise the view from my pillow…… My camp site wasn’t far away as the crow flies but in reality a long way round….. Mind was now free and fours days ahead were to be mountain filled days……

ImageLoch Marreeeeeee by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Bike, Hike and Wild camp Adventure in The Letterewe Fore

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Stunning! 8)
I was already looking forward to my trip to that area before I saw your excellent video. Now my appetite has been even more whetted :D . But it will have to wait until the days start lengthening again :(.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:57 pm

some drop dead gorgeous photos and video there, wilkie - love the drone footage over Lair summit
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:10 pm

Silverhill wrote:Stunning! 8)
I was already looking forward to my trip to that area before I saw your excellent video. Now my appetite has been even more whetted :D . But it will have to wait until the days start lengthening again :(.

Thanks Silverhill - it really is a stunning area. Cant believe its not been on my radar before now! Well worth the effort..

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:11 pm

weaselmaster wrote:some drop dead gorgeous photos and video there, wilkie - love the drone footage over Lair summit

Thaks Weaselmaster, not an area that seen too often and a very spectacular part of Scotland :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 pm

The words are just as evocative as the film. Only 2 more weeks and I'll be heading up that way myself. Really whet my appetite, that did, I think Beinn Lair's definitely on my list now. :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Just sensational - the pics, the vid, and the big star - Letterewe!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Really, I'm lost for words, because actually the place speaks for itself and no words are necessary; as do your pics & vid. These drone views you go for really show the mountains off at their best. I so wish I lived 6 or 8 hours nearer these places :( .

Yet again: brilliant!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rache7173 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:55 pm

Beautiful video and fantastic walk report.
I think i saw you one of the evenings you were there. You were at your tent while i was crossing the river. I was mountainbiking from poolewe to the causeway with my daft young collie.
rache7173
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:20
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:18 am

BobMcBob wrote:The words are just as evocative as the film. Only 2 more weeks and I'll be heading up that way myself. Really whet my appetite, that did, I think Beinn Lair's definitely on my list now. :)

Thanks Bob - its certainly a stunning area of the country and I was kicking myself that I hadn't been before this visit:)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:19 am

Alteknacker wrote:Just sensational - the pics, the vid, and the big star - Letterewe!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Really, I'm lost for words, because actually the place speaks for itself and no words are necessary; as do your pics & vid. These drone views you go for really show the mountains off at their best. I so wish I lived 6 or 8 hours nearer these places :( .

Yet again: brilliant!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you Alteknacker - very much appreciated. It is a bit of a journey to get to the start point but that maybe adds to the appeal . :D

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:21 am

rache7173 wrote:Beautiful video and fantastic walk report.
I think i saw you one of the evenings you were there. You were at your tent while i was crossing the river. I was mountainbiking from poolewe to the causeway with my daft young collie.

Hello - I do seem to remember a few people passing (well you and maybe 2 other people!) some lovey remote reas and the causeway was awesome:)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Such an amazing part of the world, and your words and images captured it superbly. I'll have to wait to watch the video, connection too rubbish here so will view it tomorrow. I expect that to be even better!

I was lucky enough to touch the fringes of this area last Easter, during a canoeing trip on Loch Maree, and a failed attempt to drag our canoes on trollies up to Loch Fada (long story involving taking canoes for a walk for most of two days, broken trollies and a sense of the ridiculous!!!). It has whetted my appetite to return.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:53 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Such an amazing part of the world, and your words and images captured it superbly. I'll have to wait to watch the video, connection too rubbish here so will view it tomorrow. I expect that to be even better!

I was lucky enough to touch the fringes of this area last Easter, during a canoeing trip on Loch Maree, and a failed attempt to drag our canoes on trollies up to Loch Fada (long story involving taking canoes for a walk for most of two days, broken trollies and a sense of the ridiculous!!!). It has whetted my appetite to return.

I was right...the film was even better. Love the drone footage! (though torn about them, as I hate the noise!)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Mick Robertson » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 am

What a stunning record of a trip to a wonderful area- climbing A’ Mhaighdean a few years ago was one of my favourite trips ever- the Corbett are beckoning now..
And to see the Aurora too - great.
Mick Robertson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:91
Fionas:3   Donalds:5

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland