walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Life changing events and Goatfell

Life changing events and Goatfell

by dogplodder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:25 pm

Route description: Goatfell, from Brodick Castle

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 05/08/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 874m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Life changing events and Goatfell

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:53 pm

What a marvellous story. :clap: :clap:
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby timmunro86 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:16 pm

What a great story to read. Thanks for sharing your family history with everyone. I especially like seeing the haggis photo, they are tricky beasts to get a pic of! :wink:
timmunro86
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:17 pm

Silverhill wrote:What a lovely story! :D

Thanks. :)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:20 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Yes a lovely story - and Arran is great - a real minature: but what were the midges like?
I had a cousin with a lovely sailing boat on the Clyde. One August, they dropped me off at Lochranza in the morning and sailed round to Lamlash, while I walked over Casteal Abhail, Cir Mhor and Goat fell, descended to the road and flagged down a bus - meeting them in the evening. But even on the top of Goat fell the midges were horrendous and I couldn't stop anywhere to have a bite to eat :lol: i've never experienced midges at such a height (before or since) but in general i've avoided the West highlands in August :)

Midges not too bad the day we were there. Higher up we had a pleasant breeze and lower down we just kept moving! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:46 pm

I really enjoyed reading that. It reminded me of the week I helped at an SU camp after my first year at Uni and discovered that residential camps with primary age girls was not my thing! But how lovely to climb Goat fell after all the years with both brothers.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:48 pm

Kathleen what another amazing story- sorry 'walk report' is an inadequate term for your posts!

I was engaged from start to finish. Who looked after you when you were left behind in Yorkshire? What is SU? And did you ever notice a wee scally wag constantly building sandcastles on the beach at Seamill?

When I was a child, Seamill was our default resort as soon as the sun came out. My mum and dad would bundle my brothers and sisters and a massive picnic (big tartan flasks featured heavily) down to our favourite spot for hours on end. Occasionally we would head for the bright lights of Saltcoats and try our luck on the Penny Falls in the amusement arcades.

And here's a strange thing. Me and my husband were in Saltcoats yesterday to get some fresh air and sunshine about ourselves and got talking to a elderly local man. He kindly helped me locate the site of the former King Kong amusements and the outdoor swimming pool. Anyway we got talking about Arran and he couldnt believe that we lived only 45mins up the road and had never been across to the island.

Needless to say a trip to Arran is very much on the cards, and I'll be rereading your account when this happens. Thanks once again Kathleen. X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:43 pm

Brilliant photos and nice story behind it all. I grew up in Ayrshire and would see Goat Fell, white with snow in winter and blue through a heat haze in summer, or a silhouette in varying shades from grey to deep purple in brooding sunsets. I moved to Aberdeenshire in my twenties and started a hillwalking, climbing and winter mountaineering life in the Cairngorms; despite being so keen on the hills I never climbed Goat Fell until I was in my mid-forties. I was quite pleasantly surprised at myself !

Summit of Goatfell%2C Arran..JPG
Planking at summit of Goat Fell
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Old Bill » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:40 am

Lovely story!! Love the "then and now" photos! :-)
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:29 pm

BobMcBob wrote:What a marvellous story. :clap: :clap:

Thanks. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:33 pm

timmunro86 wrote:What a great story to read. Thanks for sharing your family history with everyone. I especially like seeing the haggis photo, they are tricky beasts to get a pic of! :wink:

Didn't really mean to share the family history but I guess it did turn out a bit that way! It's interesting the way hills become linked in our minds with stuff going on in life.... like a kind of anchor when all else changes but they stay the same. :think:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:37 pm

mrssanta wrote:I really enjoyed reading that. It reminded me of the week I helped at an SU camp after my first year at Uni and discovered that residential camps with primary age girls was not my thing! But how lovely to climb Goat fell after all the years with both brothers.

Residential girls camps not my thing either - but back in the day that was very much Moira's domain! 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:04 pm

pollyh33 wrote: And did you ever notice a wee scally wag constantly building sandcastles on the beach at Seamill?

Needless to say a trip to Arran is very much on the cards, and I'll be rereading your account when this happens. Thanks once again Kathleen. X

And did you notice the scruffy Heinz variety mutt who nicked golf balls off the golf course and mooched for picnickers' sandwiches on the beach - back in the day when dogs could take themselves out for walks on their own? That was my dog Bruce and a cleverer dog you could not find. :lol:

You absolutely have to go to Arran! It claims to be Scotland in miniature - with a bit of everything! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:04 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Brilliant photos and nice story behind it all. I grew up in Ayrshire and would see Goat Fell, white with snow in winter and blue through a heat haze in summer, or a silhouette in varying shades from grey to deep purple in brooding sunsets. I moved to Aberdeenshire in my twenties and started a hillwalking, climbing and winter mountaineering life in the Cairngorms; despite being so keen on the hills I never climbed Goat Fell until I was in my mid-forties. I was quite pleasantly surprised at myself !

It's a good one to come back to. Love your description and so true. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Old Bill wrote:Lovely story!! Love the "then and now" photos! :-)

Thanks OB. :)
dogplodder

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Great stuff there dogplodder, now I must follow you there. I've never been now it's a must go and hopefully very soon.
A brilliant story I'm off to read it again, thanks for posting, Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland