walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munros One Hundred and Forty Four and Forty Five

Munros One Hundred and Forty Four and Forty Five

Postby Chris Henshall » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Breac & A' Chailleach: Western Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), Sgùrr Breac

Date walked: 19/07/2016

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tuesday, 19th. July, 2016:
Having come through from Corrie Hallie on the Dundonnell Road via Shenevall in rain and wind during the previous couple of days, it was great to wake up to clear skies and sunshine at Lochivraon Bothy.
Day 5b. Sunrise at the Lochivraon Bothy 2 - Copy.JPG
Sunrise at Lochivraon
Al McGilchrist and I had a bunch of students with us practising for their D of E Gold Award so, once we'd made sure that they had cooked some breakfast, packed up their tents and were leaving the place at least as tidy as they had found it, we pointed them in the direction of Kinlochewe and set off to have a day on the hill for ourselves. First on the list were the two peaks at the western end of the Fannichs, A' Chailleach and Sgurr Breac, which my brother and I had missed out when we had come through here back in 1982.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An easy river crossing of the Abhainn Loch a'Braoin took us roughly south up the valley of the Allt a'Ghleibh before we turned east and climbed onto Ceann Garbh A' Chailleach, the south ridge of the day's first Munro. The way up the outcrops and steep screes was highlighted by a remarkable dry stone wall heading up to the ridge from a small lochan - an interesting way onto the tops. Too early for anyone heading up from the A832, the summit was deserted and a lovely place to be - a reason to pause, take in the views and enjoy the sunshine.
Day 5e. CMH on the summit of A'Chailleach looking south west to Beinne Eighe and Slioch - Copy.JPG
On the summit of A'Chailleach looking south west to Beinn Eighe and Slioch
Now, though, we had a path to follow for the first time in the day and we enjoyed the views as we headed east over Toman Coinnich to Sgurr Breac still untroubled by other walkers.
Day 5f. AGM looking north west to An Teallach from Sgurr Breac - Copy.JPG
Al McGilchrist looking north west to An Teallach from Sgurr Breac
From the summit, we descended steep grassy slopes south to the Nest of Fannich (where I had camped with my brother 34 years previously and where we now encountered an isolated herd of highland cattle) and then set off for Kinlochewe along tracks made by the Hydro. It was a fair step - the day coming in at somewhere around 20 miles overall - so we enjoyed a beer in Kinlochewe that evening all the more.
Next Report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68873.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland