walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg (the Torridon one)

Beinn Dearg (the Torridon one)

Postby malky_c » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg, Torridon

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Torridon)

Date walked: 14/08/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1000m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had plans to continue my bagging crusade this weekend, and also to visit two hills that are high on my 'wanted' list and I really should have done years ago. I hatched a vague plan with Donald on Friday evening to do Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin the next day.

In the event, we made rather a late start, and Dave R and his brother Steve were also coming along. They had been out on the hills and cycling all week, and were looking for something a bit shorter. We agreed on Beinn Dearg quite easily - a hill I had been meaning to revisit for years. Less popular than the 3 Torridon classics (Beinn Eighe, Liathach, Beinn Alligin) but just as interesting and worthwhile. I had done a winter traverse in January 2003 and had always wanted to have a go at it in the summer, too.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We left the carpark at Coire Mhic Nobaill at about 11.30 to walk up to the eastern end of the hill. I had vague memories of having read Richard's SHills report on a more scambly route, but I'd neglected to read it the previous night, so couldn't remember what route it took. Therefore we settled for an ascent to Carn na Feola and a complete E to W traverse. The weather was more overcast than we'd expected and the midges were torture at the carpark, but we were soon at the fork in the path, where we were to continue E. The bridge here is of interest to me, as it was designed and built by some of my predecessors from Dundee University civil engineering department.

Ben Alligin from Coire Mhic Nobaill:

Today's destination - Beinn Dearg:

Skirting around the base of Beinn Dearg:

Looking up at the scrambly pinnacle on the E ridge of Beinn Dearg:

There are a number of lines that can be taken to reach Carn na Feola. We took a rising traverse eastwards to reach the ridge just west of the summit. Despite their desire for an easy day, Dave and Steve powered off ahead on the ascent. The going was steep and pathless, mainly heathery with the occasional outcrop to avoid.

Liathach from the ascent of Carn na Feola:

Looking across to the main summit of Beinn Dearg from Carn na Feola:

On Carn na Feola, we stopped for a break. The midges were lurking, but a slight breeze kept them at bay for long enough for lunch. Views were as great as you would expect in Torridon, but slightly marred by the flat light produced by the thin layer of white cloud which was over us. Sunnier patches could be seen over Fisherfield and the Fannaichs.

Meall Dearg, the awkward NW top of Liathach was visible from here, something I have been looking at for some time now. A possible alternative round of Liathach around Coire Na Caime looked interesting from this vantage point. Possibly some awkward scrambling involved, but something Dave and I will be looking into in the future.

East end of Liathach:

Stuc Loch na Cabhaig, Lochan na Bealaich and Baosbheinn:

Liathach and the Am Fasarinan pinnacles:

Onward to the west, and there was a short descent before getting to the main body of the hill. We crossed a small area of rock pavement, then ascended grassier slopes to face the narrow pinnacle-like section of ridge leading to the summit. This section interested me, as I had had a bit of fun descending it in the snow previously. I wanted to see what it looked like stripped to the rock.

Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin:

Beinn a Chearcaill with Fisherfield behind:

Baosbheinn, Loch na h-Oidhche and Beinn an Eoin:

Looking W to the summit and Loch a' Choire Mhoir:

Donald, Dave and Steve head for the scrambly section:

A bypass path headed to the left, but we weren't interested in this. Unless the direct route is really difficult, I usually find these routes to be looser and more unpleasant than the direct route. Dave confirmed this to be the case, as he had used the bypass previously.

The scramble was very straightforward in dry conditions, the first section being a small chimney, and the second being a buttress with a crack up the centre. Plenty of holds, and doesn't feel as steep as it looks.

Up we go:

Liathach again:

More of a short section of arete than a pinnacle really, but there was a slight descent before the final uphill to the summit.

Approaching the final ascent:

Looking back to the pinnacle:

East to Carn na Feola and Beinn Eighe:

Our pinnacle and Liathach:

The summit is quite spacious and grassy, but the midges were ready to pounce so we didn't stop. Views opened up to Beinn Alligin to the west. At this point , Dave realised that he had never actually got to the summit of Tom na Gruagaich on Beinn Alligin, so after todays walk, he had a tally of minus one Munros! Having done just about every other hill in the NW, this was a bit of an omission for him. Had he realised beforehand, we probably would have done Beinn Alligin instead!

I vaguely remember some routes directly off the main summit, but we decided that the best route would be the full traverse, so carried on towards Stuc Loch na Cabhaig. Some interesting rock formations on the descent.

Dave bags a subsubsubsubsubmarilyn:

Horns of Alligin and Sgurr Mhor:

Looking out towards Loch Ewe, Baosbheinn on right:

Wild country to the N of Beinn Alligin:

Beinn Damh, Loch Torridon:

Beinn Alligin again. Horns much clearer:

Descent from Stuc Loch na Cabhaig was steep and loose, but we were down at Allt a Bhealaich before long. Here we picked up the Horns of Alligin ascent route and followed it back to the bridge over the Allt Coire Mhic Nobuil.

Liathach from descent to Coire Mhic Nobaill:

Beinn Eighe and Liathach:

Back at the car, and it was a bit of a rush to escape from the midges again. A slightly frantic end to a good day out.
Last edited by malky_c on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Deinn Dearg (the Torridon one)

Postby kevsbald » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Is it nae Beinn Dearg? :) That is an interesting little formation your friend is standing on - very odd indeed. Like the look of this and your route looks v tasty.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Beinn Dearg (the Torridon one)

Postby malky_c » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:05 pm

kevsbald wrote:Is it nae Beinn Dearg? :)

Changed now :wink:
Daftest typo I have made yet.

Noticed you were doing a lot of Corbetts recently. This is definitely up there with the best of them.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby monty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:08 am

Hi Malky,
Looks like an excellent corbet on a par with its munro cousins nearby which I will have to get up and do soon. Amasing geology up there. Give me this kind of hill to climb rather than numerous munro's I could name :D Superb.
monty

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:46 am

Love this report of an area I have scarcely visited - inspires me to change that.
and really helpful detail in the report - thanks
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Alastair S » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 am

Excellent - must be a contender for the finest Corbett.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm sure I'll end up looking for that bypass path :D (or just going out and back)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:10 am

Nice report :) . The scrambling looks great fun - just my sort of thing.

I remember being on Beinn Alligin and not being able to understand why I'd never heard of Beinn Dearg and why it was not a Munro as it's height was 914m - that was in the days before the bagging bug really got me and I had never heard of a Corbett :lol: . A magestic looking hill and can't wait to get up it :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby kinley » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Saturday was better up there than Lochaber :)

Certainly one of the best Corbetts 8) You got some good views.

In terms of the scramble - the south bypass is very loose and very exposed - had a short slip on that one that induced a sensation of mortality :shock: , the north side is easier on a deer track.

In truth the ridge on the E of the pinnacle is only about 70m above Loch Choire Mhoir so it's not much work to drop down there and reclimb the far side of the pinnacle if scrambling is not your thing :)
kinley

Postby gaffr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:48 am

I too enjoyed this hill greatly.....the surroundings are second to none. HM and I failed to do enough research on this one and ended up starting from the 'wrong end' and got a wee surprise after reaching the summit and, of course, had some down-climbing to do on the 'ridgey bit' before being able to get down from the hill. Highly recommended traverse... a fine day out...but I'll follow your way next time.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby clivegrif » Thu May 03, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm researching a fine Corbett - and yet again it is Malky's route that comes up.

Cracking stuff, and loads of excellent info that will be extremely useful on the hill.

There is a book in you, dear boy! :D
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby KeithS » Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Mmmm, this certainly does look an impressive mountain, hint taken. :wink:
I bet it looks incredible from the bottom :lol: :lol:
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland